A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Latest consensus on best k04 kit for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest consensus on best k04 kit for the buck?

Dear all, (newbie here)

I'd like to ask you what you feel is the best k04 kit for a '98 B5 1.8T Quattro.

I'd be happy to install an FMIC but would like to keep stock exhaust as I want car to be as quiet as now but I've heard this could cause some serious contraflow resulting in loss of engine longevity. How much truth is in that assertion?

What kind of power and torque figures would I be looking at? The stock power was 150 HP. Are those wheel power or crank? I'd be happy to get 240 HP relative to that.

I've read that for a k04 setup to be successful it needs to have its own software. I am currently running the 195HP Oettinger chip and n75j valve, with stock 710. Would that still be all right?

I've heard it'd be best to spend my money on a stage III APR set, as my engine is non-DBW (AEB), but my top priority is reliability and smooth power delivery, with good torque all over the range. I feel if I went the APR route, I'd then have to upgrade clutch, flywheel, lengthen gears and possibly upgrade brakes and suspension, so I seriously don't know what to do.

The last thing is I'm based in Europe, so we don't usually get all of that yank great service and friendliness over here, I'm afraid. Yes, I know German tuners are good, but they're quite pricey.

I'll appreciate any comments.

Yours,

JP Robertsons
Old 10-19-2004, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default go with the AWE K04 kit

Great performance for the price. I was debating between S3 and K04 for a while and I just could not jusify spending $3500 more over the K04 kit for the additional 40hp.
Exhaust is highly recommended but not necessary.
Check out the link for more info. AWE has great customer service.<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/">http://www.awe-tuning.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 10-19-2004, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default agree

I got a ride in both before my decision. I loved the S3 but it did not seem to be worth the extra $$$$. I'm in no way bashing the S3. If it was cheaper, the choice would be clear.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you are in Germany then you have a completely different market to chose from...

Yes it will be expensive, but you do need TUV certification to drive your car on public roads.In this case I would stick with a very well known tuner such as MTM. It's going to cost money but you'd be better off in the long run, also it is better to have local support, having a time difference of 6-9hrs never mind the distance would be a major pain should something not be correct.

For a K04 kit you will need to upgrade the exhaust system. Suspension is highly recommended also.

For you to get a US K04 kit, you will have to consider that your car will have different programming and the ECU may have different software on it also...

I'm over in Ireland if it helps you...