A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Latest E.C. article..... M3 eater

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-1999, 05:35 AM
Did you know

Default Latest E.C. article..... M3 eater

A4 with K24 set up and 1 bar chip produces 286hp and 0-60 in 5.2.......M3 eater.<p>Anyone know the setup cost of this set up (I think by MTM).<br>
Old 05-05-1999, 05:37 AM
Steve S.

Default Didn't we have enough of this stuff yesterday?

M3 Eater its not....but you could definitely have some fun with an E36 M3 on a track. The M3 will really shine at the end of the power curve (aka top end...or atleast over 100 mph)<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 05-05-1999, 06:12 AM
Jon

Anyone know the price, there was some overseas # on the article.
Old 05-05-1999, 06:25 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Check with Hoppen....

Since Hoppen is the N. American distributor they should be able to tell you the price. Check their website for more info.<p>Andy Hedin<br>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights...<ul><li><a href="http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/">Hoppen Website</a></li></ul>
Old 05-05-1999, 06:39 AM
Rodney

Default I think that's only available in Europe...

The highest kit Hoppen lists on their is the 240hp K04 kit: MTM chip upgrade 3, ported exhaust manifold (exchange), KKK K04 turbo, MTM modified catalytic converter (exchange), MTM stainless steel downpipe with flex coupling, stainless steel center resonator, stainless steel rear muffler, MTM fuel pressure regulator, MTM intercooler hose, and Bosch Performance plugs. Price is $4350. I'm sure they'd be willing to put together a K24 kit pretty close to the European one, I'd also strongly consider going with one of the Garrett turbos vice the K24, another thing to discuss with the tuner. Give them a call and keep us posted.<p>Regards,<br>Rodney<p>'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 05-05-1999, 07:47 AM
ErikR

Default Why do we keep getting these ridiculous posts!? Are people really that unimformed? long as usual...

M3 eater, yea, right.<p>Let's get something straight. The A4 is a superb all-around car. An S4 is a true high performance version of the A4, but it is just marginally a sports car.<p>Heresy, you bet. A sports car has one purpose, to drive at the limits. Think RX-7, Porsche, any loti, etc. This is a loose definition, think minimized weight high horsepower, excellent brakes, and wide rims.<p>A stock M3 will put the S4 to shame on the track. It takes many thousands of dollars to get a stock A4 anywhere near the the M3 and it's still cobbled together. And, everyone here seems to forget that M3 owners are just as nuts as we are about mods. We lose the race again.<p>Drive the stupid M3, it is available in most urban centers. The M3 defines the sport sedan. If the world never got wet or snowed, I would be driving one. But, since the real world has does have rain, snow, gravel, ice, I drive the best street car for under 80k.
Old 05-05-1999, 08:32 AM
phred

If you need a hotrod, buy a Mustang! Audis are about balance (IMHO)
Old 05-05-1999, 08:42 AM
Zsolt

While I do not disagree, would you elaborate on your particularly strong opinion?
Old 05-05-1999, 09:01 AM
Rob

balance? Yes...but why can't we have more power and fun...BMW, Porsche, etc. shouldn't have all the fun
Old 05-05-1999, 09:43 AM
Rodney

Default Maybe it could, maybe it couldn't...but I agree with your point (long)

With 286hp and simmilar torque it may be able to take an M3 (depending on many other variables)...at least in a straight line. Start stuffing it into corners and without significant suspension / wheel / tire upgrades I would give the edge to the M3. Whole braking system would need to be redone to compete with the Bimmer in that category too. All these mods start getting real expensive and that just makes it competitive with the M3 (maybe a bit better, maybe not). Also, I seriously doubt a 1.8t would be able to handle an M3 up top (100 mph + the M engine stills has gobs of power). Again MAYBE a heavily modded 1.8t would have a chance (especially if it had been opened up to 2.0).<p>Yeah, yeah, I'm blaspheming...get over it. None of that changes the fact that the A4 is a GREAT car period, and truly awesome for the money (except for the lack of leather on the 1.8t). It is also imensely tuneable, and there certainly is nothing wrong with personalizing one's car and wringing as much performance out of it as possible. But in the end these cars are NOT sports cars! The M3 and probably the S4 (won't say for sure til I drive one) are pretty darn close. You want the ultimate in performance buy a Porsche or other true sports car. However, you want a fun, comfortable, well designed, good handling, car with a useable (though snug) back seat and a good size trunk...then the A4 is car.<p>There's no reason to get defensive about the A4 (as some do)...it stands up to comparison with any car near its price range. For under $80k I would have 2 cars, an A4 2.8qstip and a Porsche Boxster (or well maintained used 911). But that's my personal prefrence and not right for everyone.<p>Regards,<br>Rodney<p>'99 A4 1.8tqms

Quick Reply: Latest E.C. article..... M3 eater