A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Laws re: disclosure of accident damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laws re: disclosure of accident damage

Hi All,

I was detailing my car the other day and noticed some cross-hatch marks on the passenger-side front fender. I never noticed it before, but it's obvious that the car has, at some point, sustained some damage and been repaired.

Just curious if anyone knows exactly what a dealership is required by law to disclose about an accident. I was told nothing by the Audi dealership when I bought the car about 10 months ago. Is it true that as long as the car hasn't been declared "salvage" -- that if it's only been in an accident and repaired -- they are not required to tell the consumer?

I don't have carfax so I can't see exactly what the record on it is. I definitely should have asked for one when I bought the car.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- Adam
Old 01-13-2003, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cars are sometimes damaged in transit, and fixed at the Vehicle processing center. You'd never know

about it unless you ordered your car, and it was delayed while being repaired (and you knew the delivery date)
Old 01-13-2003, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Laws re: dixclosure of Accident Damage : from dealer

I work at a dealer and we are told that if a car has had any damage from transit or from sitting on the lot we must tell the buyer, before they sign anything, some dealers might side step this by just not admitting it was done by them or by transit and might say you did it and now don't want to pay, anything done to the car will show up on carfax but I don't have ablity to use it sorry or I would run it for you, go to the audi dealer and have them run you VIN it should show up there, if nothing show up then it is alright. They might have just tried to detail the car and used a bad polish and it scared the paint of it could be alians inplanting eggs into your fender who know got pictures?
Old 01-13-2003, 01:26 PM

Default Crushed Jaguar

LOL

I once saw a brand new jag on a transporter and the thing gave out and the top jag was crushing the bottom one. The roof of the lower one was mushed in. OOPSIES! Do you think they fixed that one or what?

-Phil
Old 01-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Default car bought used [more]

I bought the car used, so my first inclination was that it was in an accident with the previous owner and not due to transit. Although the people who have mentioned it might be for another reason could be absolutely right. The cross-hatch marks on the fender were definitely done by hand to score the surface for metal filler and paint. I can't tell for sure about the hood, but it *appears* that it was also repainted. I wish I could get a picture good enough that would show the damage, but I can't (cheesy camera - sorry). So the deal is that dealers are supposed to disclose all damage?

Thanks - Adam