A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

leaking windshield washer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default leaking windshield washer fluid

This should be an easy thing to fix. Removed fender liner and replaced the rubber grommet thingy even though the old one was tight and did not appear to be leaking. Checked the lower pump and it works fine, no leaks from the container or gasket or pump itself. The pump worked fine and did not appear to be cracked or leaking when pumped outside the reservoir and drawing from a small container of water. Filled the reservoir, operated the pump and all looked good. No leaks showing. But... now the container is empty again???

Do I just assume the pump housing is cracked and replace it even though I cannot see a crack and it does not leak when out of the reservoir and operated? Or, what else do I check? I am not filling the container above the second headlamp squirter pump so that should not be an issue.

Seems simple, what am I missing?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
This should be an easy thing to fix. Removed fender liner and replaced the rubber grommet thingy even though the old one was tight and did not appear to be leaking. Checked the lower pump and it works fine, no leaks from the container or gasket or pump itself. The pump worked fine and did not appear to be cracked or leaking when pumped outside the reservoir and drawing from a small container of water. Filled the reservoir, operated the pump and all looked good. No leaks showing. But... now the container is empty again???

Do I just assume the pump housing is cracked and replace it even though I cannot see a crack and it does not leak when out of the reservoir and operated? Or, what else do I check? I am not filling the container above the second headlamp squirter pump so that should not be an issue.

Mine had the same problem. The headlight washer pump was cracked at the top of the assembly. It was very hard to see the crack and it leaked only when it was hooked up so that there was some back pressure against it. I replaced the jug as well just to be on the safe side. Solved the problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2001.5 Audi A4. I ordered the part online for $69, and had my local mechanic install it for $55. I would have done it self, but just wanted to get the job done.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default leaky headlight squirters

Figured out the headlamp squirters are toast. They are cracked, probably from water freezing in them. They leak everywhere when they are activated. Unplugged the upper pump to see if the liquid quits leaking from the reservoir. But that causes the "out of liquid" display on the dash... Guessing if I want to clear the warning light I will either have to replace the headlamp squirters or cut the hose supplying the liquid to the squirters,plug the hose and then plug the power to the pump back in. I really have no interest in repairing the headlamp squirters, never used them.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured out the headlamp squirters are toast. They are cracked, probably from water freezing in them. They leak everywhere when they are activated. Unplugged the upper pump to see if the liquid quits leaking from the reservoir. But that causes the "out of liquid" display on the dash... Guessing if I want to clear the warning light I will either have to replace the headlamp squirters or cut the hose supplying the liquid to the squirters,plug the hose and then plug the power to the pump back in. I really have no interest in repairing the headlamp squirters, never used them.
I think you can remove the headlight pump and put a plug in that hole. Then all you have is your windshield washer pump. Not sure if it has a it's own fluid level sensor but if it does just put a jumper in that plug and tape it down.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem after the Audi Dealership had changed my oil. It seemed that a tech had snagged one of the lower hoses for the washer, when installing the belly pan. It was a small crack but my fluid kept leaking out everyday until I traced the leak, which seemed like the pump at first.