A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Leatherette or Cloth??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2000, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherette or Cloth??

I'm going to be picking up a 2000 A4 1.8 T Quattro in the next 3 months. I'd really prefer leather (and I don't understand why it's not offered in the 1.8T) but I can't afford to move up to the 2.8 right now. I'd like to find out from all you Leatherette owners out there, if you like your Leatherette or if you wish you would have gone with cloth?

Thanks,
Old 04-29-2000, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Leatherette is great! (more)

I live in hot, sunny S. Florida when if I leave my car in a parking lot for more than 10 minutes, when I return the temperature inside is at least 115 degrees inside my car. When I went to buy my A4, I asked about cloth on the 1.8Ts and my dealer told me almost all 1.8Ts come with leatherette. Leatherette always passes off to my unaware Audi passengers as real leather (one time, a friend of mine who drives a 740i BM thought my leatherette was nicer than his "true" leather). Leatherette is very easy to clean and is gripping and comfortable (plus it is a no-cost option!). In my opinion, leatherette makes an A4 1.8T look at least 5k more expensive and is worth it. If you want to stick with cloth though, I looked at a Yellow A4 with Black cloth and I was tempted (the cloth is excellent on Audi models) Later though, I saw a Melange/Cream Leatherette and bought that one.
Old 04-29-2000, 07:30 AM

Default It'll do....

I too am picking up my A4 in next few months and decided on Leatherette. A friend of mine has a 98 with Onyx Leatherette and to be honest I was quite impressed. It still isn't leather but it'll do quite nicely.
Old 04-29-2000, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A week after I got my A4, I was very glad I had the leatherette and not cloth....

because while I was washing my car, I opened the door to clean out the interior and my dog jumped in with wet, muddy feet. I have the Ecru (off white) seats and the mud was everywhere. With leatherette it came up almost immediatly with just a damp cloth - I can't imagine what the clean up would have been like if I would have had cloth seats.<p>Matt Daniels
AudiWorld Creative Editor
<a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=4632">'00 A4 1.8T Avant</a>
<a href="http://registry.audiworld.com/audi/registry/details.asp?car=1200">'86 4000 CS quattro</a>
Old 04-29-2000, 08:10 AM

Default If you do choose cloth, be sure to heavily consider looking into sport seats...

I wanted the "luxury" feel of the leatherette.. however, if i was set on getting cloth seats, then I would definitely put in the extra $$$ and buy the sport seats... It's a shame that the sport seats don't come in leatherette.
Old 04-29-2000, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Leatherette (too long)

The leatherette is so similar to leather that most people will not be able to tell the difference. When I was deciding 3 months ago between the 1.8T and the 2.8, a major factor was getting the leather seats, but of course this is about $5k more--significant coinage!!! All 100% of my friends said get the leather you'll never regret it. (They must all think I make a heck of a lot more than I do.) Well, I decided to go with the 1.8T with onyx leatherette. Most of them when riding in the car have commented, "I see you went with leather-good decision." The first time I explained that it was leatherette. Now I just talk about how I love the car and my choice and all.

Bottom line is leatherette is a lot like leather (without killing any cows). In the black it is very hard to see a difference. It feels alot like leather. It should wear very similarly. It matches exactly the non-sitting areas of the seats. Remember even with leather seats, only the part that you sit on is leather. The rest is matched vinyl/leatherette.

Cloth's advantages are comfort--cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Get the winter package if you live in a cold winter climate. Tint your windows if summer heat is a problem--looks cool too.

Disadvantage of cloth--it is harder to clean and shows the wear more.
Old 05-01-2000, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, Audi...offer leather as an option on the 1.8T!!! As for your question...

Yes, the leatherette is tolerable, and most people think it's real leather. Of course most people can't tell the difference between pleather and leather anyway. This is really a sore spot with me because I'm one of those people who chooses options based on what he likes and really doesn't care what others think.

OK, OK, enough of my tie-raid the leatherette isn't bad. It's easy to clean, gets hot in the sun, but cools quickly, doesn't require any maintenance, and if it gets water on it, I don't worry because it's just plastic. Cloth was my first choice (sport seats), but I was pressed for time (needed a car to move to new job 900 miles away), my car was delayed, but dealer found substitute with everything BUT sport seats. I'm still toying with the idea of retrofitting a leather interior from a 2.8 though.<p>Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 05-03-2000, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Leatherette or Cloth??

Everyone that has gotten in my car with onyx leatherette has been fooled. Including me. I honestly thought I had leather when I bought my used 98 Avant. I was a little dismayed at first but then I get into the car wet from jetskiing so it has really turned into an asset.