A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Leatherette seats...questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 06:27 AM
RichardW

Default Leatherette seats...questions

I'm almost ready to jump on a deal on a 2000 A4 1.8TQ w/tip that has ecru/onyx interior, leatherette seats, which concerns me. I'm used to nice, comfortable leather seats which don't get hot in the summer and will last forever with proper care. Leatherette owners, how do you like it? Does the leatherette sizzle in the summer like vinyl? Being the ecru color, it might not be bad but still concerns me since it's not leather, which breathes. Leatherette seems kind of chincy on a car in this price range and status, with no leather option on the 1.8Ts. Odd. Any user comments will be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2000, 06:29 AM
julie

Default Re: Leatherette seats...questions

I got um; friends thought they were leather during the first ride.

It's personal, you gotta sit in the seats and choose for yourself. Me,
getting a 1.8t sport there wasn't a choice and I'm completely satisfied
Old 02-19-2000, 06:59 AM
Bob W.

Default Go for it...

I agree w/Julie...several people who have been in my car thought the leatherette seats were leather. It's a very high quality perforated leatherette. Mine is ecru, which does not get hot...even here in San Antonio. Not sure about onyx. Of course, a good window tint should reduce your interior temp significantly.

If you really want leather, you can get it as an aftermarket upgrade for about $1200.

Bob W.
'99 1.8Tqms+<ul><li><a href="http://robert.wunderlich.com/audi.html">http://robert.wunderlich.com/audi.html</a</li></ul>
Old 02-19-2000, 08:46 AM
Kendall-

We have the Audi A6 Avant with the Leatherette interior in Melange.. The leatherette is fine but I'd still prefer the real leather.. Audi really makes a very high quality leather interior, it is so sumptuous when I sat in one.. I'm starting to regret not getting it. Where is this aftermerket supplier I've heard on here?? Is it the same leather found on the factory cars??
Old 02-19-2000, 09:04 AM
RichardW

Default This forum is great! Thanks for the input.. I have info on aftermarket leather (more)

I'm getting such a great deal on this car, I'll probably just go with the leatherette until the lease runs out and if I decide to purchase it, I'll have Classic Soft Trim leather installed, which is what I did with my current vehicle. The CST is better quality than any factory leather I've seen. Very thick leather/padding - total luxury! And what a difference it made in the overall comfort. Had a local CST dealer install it for $950 including door inserts. It's more for newer cars with side airbags because of the more complicated design and having to work with the airbag systems themselves during installation. I got a quote of $1,175 for the A4 sedan. Good price for CST leather! If you want ultra high quality aftermarket leather installed, look for a Classic Soft Trim dealer. 3 yr warranty.
http://www.classicsofttrim.com
Old 02-19-2000, 10:24 AM
Joe III

I like the leatherette. It sounds cheesy that they put pleather in a car like ours but no one can ever tell. I'm contastantly telling people that its not leather! I think it will hold up better to stains etc...

Good luck.....Joe
Old 02-19-2000, 01:12 PM
Ryan

Leatherette ages better than leather-first hand observation. Details available upon request
Old 02-21-2000, 12:17 PM
EricB

Very happy with my opal leatherette. No worries about rain or spills. Use Vinylex on it.