A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

legal requirements for turn signal color?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1998, 09:01 AM
meem

Default legal requirements for turn signal color?

hi guys,<p>i just got some new clear turn signal cases for my<br>audi, and right now i'm still using clear bulbs,<br>so my turn signals flash white. i was wondering,<br>is there a legal requirement here that i change<br>it? (i live in the usa) -- what colors are<br>allowed? i love the look but i don't wanna get<br>pulled over for it.<p>thanks,<br>meem<br>
Old 12-28-1998, 09:04 AM
Cameron

Default I'm running clear corner bulbs and clear side bulbs

nt<br>
Old 12-28-1998, 09:05 AM
ned

Default Re: legal requirements

<br>Lens can be any color but bulb must be amber. Allthough in the 3 years i drove with white bulbs i never got harrased for it, most cops dont notice it.
Old 12-28-1998, 09:25 AM
Marcin R.

Default Re: legal requirements for turn signal color?

Why not just go to your local automotive store and buy the amber bulbs?!?! I have the smoked side markers and just got the bulbs in amber. The bulbs cost about a buck each. Just pull the bulbs out and ask someone at the store to get you the same ones, but amber.<p>Otherwise, don't worry about it. Side markers are not required equipment in North America. They should be.<p>Marcin R.<br>---<br>'98.5 A4 1.8Tqms
Old 12-28-1998, 09:35 AM
Greg Slater

My understanding is that the lenses can be clear, but the actual flashing color has to be amber, so you need amber bulbs.<p>If you really want to get the attention of the cops, install some cheesy little blue driving lights, or worse, put on blue turn signals like I saw on a dropped Accord yesterday. At least here in Oregon, any form of blue light is a big no-no, since that color is reserved for police use. My brother the cop claims to cite people almost daily for putting all sorts of funky light colors (usually blue) on their car in various places.
Old 12-28-1998, 10:02 AM
FLASH

Default How hard are you running them?

You say that you are "running" clear corner bulbs........what do you mean clear corner bulbs?<p>
Old 12-28-1998, 10:07 AM
meem

actually, i'm not sure about the a4, but this is<br>on an audi 90 (i posted it to this forum since it<br>seemed like a generally applicable question). on<br>the audi 90, the turn signal bulb has two<br>filaments. at least at the pep boys i went to,<br>they only had single-filament amber bulbs. i'm<br>sure i can order them, but then i started to like<br>the look of the clear bulbs, so i was wondering<br>what the legal implications were with sticking<br>with them.<p>thanks!<br>meem<br>
Old 12-28-1998, 10:08 AM
meem

Default Re: legal requirements

do you really mean this, or do you mean the color<br>produced must be amber? because this suggests<br>that i could get a clear bulb and a blue lens, and<br>that would be legal, but i'd think that unlikely.<p>thanks,<br>meem<br>
Old 12-28-1998, 12:28 PM
Kandiah

I don't get it...how come it's okay for American made cars to have RED instead of AMBER direction lights..?
Old 12-28-1998, 12:31 PM
Andy Hedin

Rear can be either red or amber. Fronts must be amber

Quick Reply: legal requirements for turn signal color?