A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Lets talk fuel injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 05:55 AM
Joey T

Default Lets talk fuel injectors.

OK, backstory: I got Micas car in parts and pieces. So I have never driven it, and dno't know the provenance of any parts.

Once I had the car, Mica bought a big turbo kit. The kit consisted of bigger injectors ( Mica, fill in the size if you would ) a Mika tuned ECU and the turbo. The turbo had been used before. The injectors also showed signs of use.

Upon building the engine, I found the injectors in his car were a different design than the bigger injectors, and I would need to either swap intakes or at the very least injector seats.

I had another intake that had the older style injector seats but accepted the DBW throttle body. I used that intake when building the engine.

Fast forward to starting the car. I had some vacuum leaks in odd places, and vacuum lines that had been removed and looped back around that did not have to be removed for an engine swap. Once I got that straightened out, the car ran poorly at ilde and very light throttle settings with the stock ECU and boost regulated to 5psi. Swapping in the Miaka tuned ECU made it worse.

Current belief is that the Mika tuned ECU and, of course, the factory ECU are both tuned for stock injectors. Idle is mega rich, it fouls plugs.

I have two questions, and please, no guesses, if you don't know for sure, say so.

Does anyone have a Mika tuned ECU and can verify some stickering on the ECU and chip itself for me?

Who can talk to me about injectors? Specifically, I know that the B5 chassis 1.8 cars had two different injector styles, and that they require different seats. However, are ther any other differences? Size, resistance, etc. I am wondering if it is not injector size, but some other issue with the injectors causing my rich condition.

The current plan is to put the stock injectors in and run the car with either stock or Mika tuning at very low boost levels ( of course, I will monitor fuel ratio and timing before letting the car go ) until we can afford better software. I cannot find the injectors that came with the intake now on the car, and I would like to avoid swapping intakes if possible.

Thanks in advance, any input is welcome, but again, lemme know if you are making an educated guess or if you *know*.

I have let Micas car sit on the back burner for far too long. I feel guilty about it, and really need to get *something* going.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh? No way.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Joey T

Default This is why I asked for input from someone who has, or has seen, a Mika tuned ECU.

Can you tellme if tehre is a way I can identify the software with a VAG-COM?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what is a tehre?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Joey T

It is teh way I spell there.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Joey/Mica....give me a call...i might have some insight...

but in the meantime, what's the size of the fuel pressure regulator? The injectors may be a little large for the application combined with a FPR that is rated for higher pressure.