A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Let's talk power buffers some more (questions for users).....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's talk power buffers some more (questions for users).....

You know it's spring when the posts turn to subjects like glazing and waxing again, right? LOL.
Several posts down from here, A4lien says he's interested in a power buffer because they give great results with less work. I know several people here swear by them. But I'd like to pose some very basic questions, since I've never used one.

1. Do you use it to apply glaze and wax? Or just for removal? I can't believe a buffer saves any time on application, assuming you use it for that. Putting glaze or wax on by hand is hardly an arduous process.

2. When I'm removing glaze or wax by hand, I'm constantly turning and shaking the cloth out to get a clean section on the car. Otherwise removal becomes harder and things start getting gummed up. With a buffer you've got pads. I can't believe you're changing the pads every 30 seconds during removal, so what's the process?

3. Is it really a faster process? How much time, percentage-wise, do you estimate you save over doing it by hand? C'mon, be honest.

4. Are the results really superior to doing it by hand? What about swirl marks from the buffer? And areas the buffer can't fully reach? Do you still have to do a final by-hand buff/wipedown anyway?

As you can see, I just don't get what's so great about power buffers, since I get very nice by-hand results, but I'm willing to be educated. Anything that could make detailing my wife's black A6 wagon easier is welcome news to me. Assuming it really does save time and effort, that is. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used one once........ ONCE...

Granted- I didn't really know what I was doing.. but I ended up making some nice swirl marks in my red Ford Probe GT(god rest her soul).

There's a technique to it, and you really have to do it right or, as you had asked, yes... you will get swirl marks.

If you use it the right way, I guess the main benefit is that it takes most of the "elbow grease" out of the job.

I, personally, don't mind the work.. it's more rewarding when you get done... step back... and look at the beauty of that A4 all shiny and sparkly.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I like using my hands.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats....you just won today's HIG award.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:04 AM

... and is that a good thing? Or should I be horribly upset?
Old 04-05-2001, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor

Default Answers (long)

I've been using a random orbital for about 5 years. Previously on a Black Jetta, and now on my Silver A4, with only good results. I do not have swirl marks, and can wash, polish, and wax the car in about 2-3 hours.

The details. I use my buffer for application of my polish and my wax only. I do not use it for removal. Using a bonnet with no "lubrication" may cause some swirl marks. I use simply 100% cotton cloths for removal. The benefit to using a buffer is twofold. One, it's faster. It's faster because it doesn't apply as much wax/polish as you would by hand. Thus, the removal process goes much quicker. I find that I only turn/shake my towels two or three times per wax. And also, you end up using a lot less wax. Second, it's a lot less work. Because you're letting the machine rub the compounds in, you get to save those forearms and elbows for better things, like golf.

I've been faithful to use Meguiars for over 10 years now, and have never had bad results. I wax my car about every 4-6 months, using the following procedure. Wash/dry, clay bar, Meguiars Swirl Remover (or Fine Cut Cleaner), then followed by their Yellow Wax. I use cotton bonnets for the polishes, and a thin paper-like bonnet for the wax (it's got a plastic-type inside lining for some reason).

I must admit though, on a silver car the differences are definitely quite minor. However on a darker paint, like my Black Jetta, the difference is more dramatic. I more than impressed my friend with his M3 when I compared his hand job on half his trunk to my buffer on the other half. He's since converted.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey now! This is a family show. ; )
Old 04-05-2001, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default So it's for application but not removal....ok....

....I feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk": "Ahhhh, so it's profit game!" In other words, the obvious escaped me. So ok, it works the glaze or polish or wax in with less effort and you use less. I'm comfortable doing application by hand, because the "tactile" nature of it assures that I'll do it evenly, consistently. Up close and personal, so to speak. I'm a little afraid that with a machine I'll be less consistent with pressure, etc., but I guess that just comes with practice.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Generally for application only...Griots does have a bonnet(m)

msde especially to remove OLD wax, which can be pretty time consuming and messy.

Obviously when polishing the machine speeds the process ofrubbing the "polish" around. It is removed by hand with soft cloths.

Waxing, particularly with harder waxes to work around like paste Carnuba go on easier with a buffer. Softened and liquid suspended waxes are easy enough to work in that a machine doesnt buy you much. Again the wiping off of the excess and buffing to a high luster should again be by hand with a soft cloth. Using a machine adds the risk that you will pick up a bit of grit on the surface of the bonnet or pad and make a mess of the finish before you see it.
Old 04-05-2001, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HIG = Head In Gutter.....

...it was something that some guys on the S4 forum thought up and used to post when someone made an off-color comment.

In your case, <i>Maybe it's just me, but I like using my hands.</i> has a double-meaning, if you understand what I'm saying, thus the HIG Award!