A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Lidatek LIDAR Jammer TEST

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lidatek LIDAR Jammer TEST

I purchased the Lidatek LE-30 LIDAR Jammer with the utmost skepticism through the BMW Forum Group purchase. I purchased it with a game plan of proving that it would be a useless device as I am very skeptical of anything that claims to stand in the way of police traffic enforcement and more importantly, revenue generation.

My plan was to purchase the jammer within a time period when I could make a weekend trip down to Washington DC. Reason: One of my very close friends (and fraternity brother) is now a state trooper in Maryland. Their barracks have Kustom LIDAR guns. About a year ago, he said he'd be more than happy to prove that these things were a waste of money.

So I installed my LE-30 a few weeks ago and have surprisingly not encounter a single LIDAR speed trap since then. So this weekend, my girlfriend and I make the trek down to the DC area for a big party that a friend of mine was having. We drove because I wanted to test out the Lidatek Jammer. The plan was that I'd go on a ride-along with my friend during his 3pm-11pm shift on Friday. But with huge traffic delays and the fact that I was hung over Friday morning from a team building event at work, we ended up arriving over seven hours late. So we did the world's shortest ride-along from 10-11pm that night after my exhausting journey. He let me shoot the LIDAR gun at traffic and we pulled a couple of people over and he gave out some warnings. It was otherwise uneventful, but still fun. When his shift was over at 11pm, we went back to his barracks and got my car with the Lidatek Jammer.

We went to a road that he knew would have very low traffic flow. He pulled into a spot that he frequently uses for speed traps and set up his position. We used Motorola Talkabout 2-way radios to coordinate the test. I went about 1/4 mile down the road and around a bend and turned around. I came at him first at 60mph and when he shot me, the Lidatek LED started blinking and it made the audible tone while my V1 simultaneously alerted me of LIDAR. I immediately slammed on my brakes and after 5-6 seconds, he said he had me at 39mph. He said he could not get a reading for a couple of seconds, which is how the Lidatek is designed to operate. It jams for 5 seconds and then shuts down for another 30 seconds before resetting. So after it reset, I went back down the road again and came at him as fast as I could. I got up to about 70mph when he shot me and again I slammed on the brakes. He got me at 42 mph! Conclusion: The Lidatek Laser Echo LE-30 works as advertised! I would still like to test with another couple of brands of LIDAR guns, especially if MA cops use a different one.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:25 PM

Default sweet.........I need to install my kit asap, it's still sitting in the box....

so when the Lidatek is jamming, what is the readout on the lidar gun? Do cops know they're being jammed or just think it's an error?
Old 08-01-2004, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default oh....

I meant to say something about that. I literally just got back from the 7 hour drive home. I think the answer to this question will depend on the make and model of the LIDAR gun, but I can tell you what the Kustom LIDAR gun did.

When I was shooting the LIDAR gun during the ride-along, he showed me that there's a little scope on the top of the gun. You look through the scope and there's a little heads-up display inside. When you pull the trigger, there's a little red (led based) square that you aim at the front of the target vehicle. He was taught to aim for the front license plate, as I'd heard before. Under neath the little square target square, there's a space for the speeding readout. Before you get a lock on, that area just shows four hyphens: "- - - -". He said that the readout was the same as if he didn't have a lock on you, so it just displayed the four hyphens. He did not get any error codes. I think this may be different from brand to brand, as I heard some guns will get an error code. He said that he could tell that something was "not right" and that it took him a much longer amount of time (around 5-6 seconds, he said) to get a reading.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sweet, how big is it on the dash, and does it jam other radar too?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:27 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm just a little unhappy after reading this...

Because there is now one MD state trooper running around telling the boys that these things exist and work! :-P (I'd rather they stay in the dark about these things)
Old 08-02-2004, 04:27 AM

Default how much did you pay for it?

thats pretty cool.thx for the heads up
Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MD Trooper uses Kustom Pro Laser III

My blinder also works against it.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:37 AM
Rest In Peace

The only thing visible in the cabin is a single LED.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Rest In Peace

Where did you install the transponder?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:44 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It doesn't jam radar...

because that would be highly illegal.

Quick Reply: Lidatek LIDAR Jammer TEST