A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Light Bulbs: Brights and Turn Signal (not side marker) on 2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Bulbs: Brights and Turn Signal (not side marker) on 2001

I have never really seen a real answer to this first question: With xenons, the brights seem pretty weak. Is there a bulb that will output more light to replace the bright (H7?) with?

Second, I am looking for a clear bulb that flashes amber for the turn signal. After having my clear corners done for a few months now, I don't like how it reflects amber.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 09-20-2001, 11:14 AM

Phillips Silver Vision for the turn signal. www.powerbulbs.com
Old 09-20-2001, 11:18 AM

Default for the H7's try Raybrigs or Piaa hyper white...I think that the point of brights or High beams is

having a light source pointed in a different direction...some say that the blue or white spectrum of hyper white bulbs give out less light...yet they do look brighter while in approach(from the other guys point of view)....As for the clear corners, you might want to look into some Osram or Slivervisions...Im sure there is some modding involed as the only sliver visions Ive seen have a round foot, and I know for a fact that my 2001 has a wedge connector...I havent yet found a good way to do it, and frankly I rather like my hyper white corners, it reflects blue...some say rice, some say nice...what ever floats my boat works for me ,, hope this helped
Old 09-20-2001, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do those work in the stock US housings? I thought they only fit the Euro housing connector/socket
Old 09-20-2001, 11:31 AM

Not sure but with the euro housings you don't need them cause the amber bulb is hidden.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do you know about the US housings? Ron_C has the A4 Euros....

he had the Osrams, which only work the Euros, and has since moved to the silvervisons, so I assumed they also only work with the Euros.

I have no idea, so I'm just trying to gather info.
Old 09-20-2001, 11:44 AM

Default the problem I faced was the connectors...in OEM US spec...its a wedge foot reciever....Slivervisions

seem to only come with the round twist foot...Im sure at some point someone figured out that you can just get a round reciever that will fit the housing...dont think you can mod the bulb..:P
Old 09-20-2001, 11:45 AM

Default I have heard people say modification is required but I'm really not sure. I will say this though...

When i put in my euros the turn signal harness bulb thing (whatever you call it) fit right into my euros and twisted perfectly locking into place, For others i heard they didn't get it in this easily.

Sorry i couldn't be more help
Old 09-20-2001, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They only fit in the Euro housing,,,,

you need to modify the wiring to use the euro housing.

I just stayed using the US housing in my Euro's
Old 09-20-2001, 01:34 PM

Default I tried modifying the OEM bulb ...

... by spray-painting it with silver Rustolium Metalic paint, as someone suggested here couple of months ago. It looked good and it worked fine.

However, the paint started to peel off after a while (high temp ?). I am getting a new set in a week, and I'll try to paint these with the OEM spray paint. Maybe that one will hold better ???

If not I'll probably look into clear turn signal bulbs. There's no way I am goig back to the orange ones...

Any suggestion is always welcome.

Quick Reply: Light Bulbs: Brights and Turn Signal (not side marker) on 2001