A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Light, repetitive clicking coming from engine bay...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1998, 07:06 AM
chrisd

Default Light, repetitive clicking coming from engine bay...any thoughts?

I have this repetitive clicking coiming from my engine, which is particularly resonous on start up. Car has 6200 miles on it.<p>Any thoughts...for some reason, I think this could indicate a large problem to come.<p>Thanks for your time :+)<br>
Old 11-18-1998, 07:50 AM
Matt Daniels

Default Is it coming from the engine, or from something on the side of the engine bay?

I just noticed a ticking on my '93 90S in the engine compartment, after closer inspection, it was coming from the left side (as you look at the engine from the front) of the engine bay and was not coming from the engine itself.<p>When I asked about it, here are a few responses I got:<p>"Was it like a chatter, say several times a second? If by left you mean<br>the passenger's side of the car, it could be the evap. control valve.<br>Once the engine's warmed up, this valve starts cycling, usually at idle,<br>to allow the engine to draw fuel vapor from the carbon canister.<p>The valve is one of three vacuum valves which are located on the side of<br>the engine compartment, approximately below the MAF sensor."<p>another:<p>"Do you have a vacuum pump? They're know to make ticking noises (pretty<br>loud ticking noises)."<p>Last one:<p>"I thought it might be one of the many celenoids under the hood, I know there is<br>one just behind the air filter box that you can feel cycling if you hold on to<br>it."<p>Again, this is on my '93 90, so this may or may not be helpful for you, but I believe it shares a lot with the A4. Either way, I'm not too worried about it right now.<p>Matt<br>
Old 11-18-1998, 08:03 AM
JC M.

I have that same problem i have found it to be the device right on top of the filter box. on my 1.8T when i remove the cover i would hear that clicking even more?? sound started after about 3,500 miles going to question it on my next service.
Old 11-18-1998, 09:03 AM
Stu Koch

I hear the clicking inside the car, it is continous and occurs even when engine is off
Old 11-18-1998, 10:10 AM
chrisd

Default I think its coming from the engine, drivers side..

the anxiety associated with the potential magnitude of a problem is killing me. I may have to swing buy the service shop befor my 7500 check-up..Argggh
Old 11-18-1998, 12:02 PM
Drew S.

It's either the clock or time to see a psychiatrist.
Old 11-18-1998, 01:24 PM
Majid

Default Re: Light, repetitive clicking coming from engine bay...any thoughts?

I doubt this is your problem with only 6200 miles, but a nick in a belt can cause the noise you are describing.
Old 11-18-1998, 09:05 PM
ChuckH

Default You have NO idea...

...how loud the vacuum pumps are when they go out. It's the most horrible sound I've ever heard, much like somebody is inside the engine and beating the block with a giant hammer. I just replaced the one on my 90Q, so I'm pretty familiar with the sound. They aren't inexpensive to replace either, I might add. If I'm not mistaken, Audi no longer uses the vacuum pumps, so that would not be a source for noise on the A4.:-)<p>Charles<br>