A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

light tunning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1998, 03:13 PM
Jeff

Default light tunning

Hi, I'm a former VW GTi driver and I just ordered a 99 2.8 quattro, 5speed with the sport package. I plan on getting the 17" wheel package from Ronal when it comes in. The order is supposed to take about 10-12 weeks but if anybody wants to buy my stock 16" sport wheels and tires, make me an offer and there yours, brand new, when the car comes in.<p>I've also been considering the EPROM upgrade from TAP. It's supposed to add 17-hp and improve throttle response across the board. Has anybody had any experience with it?<p>I don't want to go through the expense of changing my springs/struts so early on and overall, I'm about 90% satisfied with the dampening rates although I wish the car had a bit less roll. Would adding aftermarket anti-sway bars without changing the springs and shocks be a futile effort?<p>Appreciate everybody's help.<p>Best,<br>Jeff
Old 10-25-1998, 06:06 PM
Cameron

Default ATTN: JEFF

*PLEASE* realize that the problems (cracked subframes, etc.) that have affected people with Neuspeed aftermarket bars are not isolated in the Neuspeed brand. As a new A4 owner, and a person considering tuning your car safely, you should probably examine the Racing section of this forum, and specifically examine the postings on swaybars, cracked mounts, broken A4 subframes, etc. I don't post this in order to persuade you not to buy swaybars. They are an important tool for tuning cars on the racetrack and the street, but you should closely examine consequences of swaybar use under certain conditions with the A4 that are not common to the design of other automobiles. Enjoy your new A4, and please take the time to investigate safe and unsafe products to tune your car. No product advertises itself as potentially problematical, or as possibly dangerous when used under given conditions. I've had personal experience with both good and bad modifications to the A4, always buying from fairly common component sets (the AMS transmission, A!Avantgarde stuff, Neuspeed stuff, H&R's, Bilsteins, Bosch stuff, etc.) but I've still run into dud products and a couple of products capable of screwing up my car. Figure out what you want, how to do it safely, and enjoy your new A4.<p>Drive safely,<br>Cameron
Old 10-26-1998, 04:44 PM
Cameron

Default Re: ATTN: JEFF

Thanks for the tip. My car isn't due to arrive for another 3 months anyway so I'll take the time to monitor this forum and others.<p>Best,<br>Jeff