A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Loaded Passat or basic A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-1999, 10:58 AM
PJ

Default Loaded Passat or basic A4 1.8T

Old 06-02-1999, 11:16 AM
BDW

Default Re: Loaded Passat or basic A4 1.8T

<br>Best value, stripped Passat 1.8T manual. You can chip it to about 200 HP for $200-500 and will have a very nice car. However, here's what you will miss out on: It won't handle like an A4 (especially with sport package), no quattro, it's not as quiet, it's not as sporty feeling, materials aren't quite as nice, doesn't quite have the same rock solid feel in spirited driving (softer suspension, tall tires). Upside for the Passat over A4, a much more useable back seat.<p>If I didn't want Quattro, I might have got a Passat instead. If I had, I would have dumped those cheesy tires in a big hurry. You can't go wrong with either of these cars. If you are asking, loaded Passat v6 or A4 1.8T, I'd opt for the A4 because of the flexibility of the engine (chip tuning) and all the above mentioned advantages of the A4.<p>Good luck.<p>BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 06-02-1999, 11:24 AM
Gordon Martin

Default Re: Loaded Passat or basic A4 1.8T

You are probably comparing the A4 to the fully loaded Passat because they are both available in Quattro (I'll answer based on this assumption).<p>I liked them both but chose the A4 - I myself wanted a lighter sportier car rather than a family sedan (back seat vs. weight). I didn't see a cost savings with the Passat since it's loaded version cost more than the A4 base and all I got was leather....the 1.8T is a nice engine...<p>If you listen to the VW sales guys they will tell you that the cars are practically the same. If you listen to the Audi sales guys they will tell you that the A4 technology is vastly different and superior. I have no idea - I drove both and liked both (big improvement over my Tercel).<p>I did one better than the base A4 - I went used, saved a few bucks and ended up with a great 2.8...<p>TTFN,<p>Gordon<br>98.5 2.8QMSbose
Old 06-02-1999, 11:39 AM
ED

Default A4 warranty 3/50K all is covered inc. scheduled visits--VW warranty 2/24K...I wonder why? Go with the A4.

Old 06-02-1999, 11:40 AM
Earl

Default Re: Loaded Passat or basic A4 1.8T >> loaded 1.8T

loaded 1.8T<p>quattro<br>cloth sport seats<br>sunroof<br>sports pkg<br>cd chnager<p>got mine for <$27k
Old 06-02-1999, 11:42 AM
Conker

Default Skip the VW.more..

Love the Passat... almost got one. However, the warranty confuses me beyond belief. Two years/24,000 miles????? What is this? That, I believe, is the worst warranty in this country. Again, love the Passat, but "no can do" on the warranty.<br>my $.02<br>Conker 98 1.8TS-tip TAP .8
Old 06-02-1999, 11:51 AM
Rich L.

Default Have you driven a quattro sport package? (more)

I was struggling with the same choice until I drove an A4 with Quattro and the sport package. I was completely sold by the agility and ride quality of the A4.<p>I went ahead and stretched a little further for the half loaded A4. No frills like bose or trip, but 1.8T Avant, Quattro, manual, sport, CD.<p>Rich
Old 06-02-1999, 12:09 PM
ALD

Default Depends on your needs, Midsize vs. compact

The A4 is a compact Sedan and the Passat is a Mid Sized Sedan. The two cars are almost identical, but at the same time they are very different. The handeling is almost the same. But there is a difference in Leg Room in the rear. As well as the trunk size. I am not recommending either car here. I drive the A4, but test drove both, and liked both, and if the deal that I got on my A4 had not come, I would be driving a loaded Passat instead. <br>So it is really what do you need. If you need a Mid Sized car, then go with the Passat. If you don't need that, then go with the A4. A lot of the engineering in both cars is the same. I found the Passat to be as quiet as the A4, and if you look at the brouchers for both cars, you will see that they are both almost identical. There are certain things that you can get on the Passat that you can't get on the A4 and vise versa. So what I would suggest you do, sit down and decide what you really need. I hope that this helps.<p>ALD
Old 06-02-1999, 12:12 PM

Get the Infinity G20
Old 06-02-1999, 12:13 PM
NO

Default Don't go there, I'd take the VW over the G20 and I'm not taking the VW

Quick Reply: Loaded Passat or basic A4 1.8T