A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Long-term (8+ years) owners: did you get the 1.8T or the 2.8? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-1999, 04:12 PM
Kent D.

Default Long-term (8+ years) owners: did you get the 1.8T or the 2.8? (long)

I'm ready to purchase an A4, but I haven't quite decided between the 1.8T or the 2.8. My wallet tells me (screams is more like it) to go with the 1.8T, but since I keep my cars at least 8 years, my instinct (and my heart) tells me go with the 2.8 for better long-term reliability. <p>I've read *pages* of very informative discussions here about whether or not the 1.8T is reliable, particularly after chipping it. The consensus seems to be it is. One thing that wasn't clear to me, though, was whether people buying 1.8Ts and chipping them were planning long-term ownership or were planning to get rid of them after a few years.<p>So here's my question(s): what are you long-term owners buying? Are you confident the 1.8T will still be running strong after 8 years, even with modifications? Or are most of you going with the 2.8?<p>I appreciate any input you have, though I have a feeling the answers are going to keep my wallet and instinct at each others' throat for some time.<br>
Old 01-05-1999, 04:59 PM
DaveL

Default I purchased for the long term....

I have a '97 1.8T with a Wetteraurer chip and aftermarket suspension components.<br>I drive about 20K miles per year, have a 5 yr loan, and I plan to keep it beyond 5 years.<p>I believe that in general German cars are "over-engineered". I don't have statistics, but I would bet that the average age of Audi, BMW, M-B, Porsche cars on the road is higher than most other brands. The cars are engineered to sustain high speed usage on the Autobahn and they all have a great deal of racing research, development and heritage.<p>IMO, adding a performance chip to a 1.8T will not significantly affect the longevity of the engine. Long-term reliability is more directly related to how the owner maintains and drives the car. If I drove the car to redline with every single shift, every single day...it will certainly have a shorter life. However, under normal, day to day driving the extra power from a chip will not significantly affect longevity....If the engine needs to be rebuilt at 180K instead of 185K...that is in my opinion insignificant.<p>Hope this helps you decide.<p>BTW...I LOVE MY A4!!!<p>
Old 01-05-1999, 05:03 PM
Rob B.

Default Definitely Long Term

This is definitely a keeper. It's design will always look good. I look forward to many years of driving this car.
Old 01-05-1999, 05:04 PM
Corey

Default Re: Long-term (8+ years) owners: did you get the 1.8T or the 2.8? (long)

I plan on keeping my 1.8t forever. After it gets really old i'll restore it and keep it as a 'classic' car. If the motor goes then great, i'll do a 2.0 conversion on it and add a big tubo to put out over 300 hp. <p>Corey<br>
Old 01-05-1999, 06:02 PM
Eric H.

Default Only one cylinder less than the venerable turbo 5...

I had an 87 5000CSTQM that I drove 135k miles before replacing with a 90 200TQM, which I drove 160k miles, replacing it with my 98.5 A4 1.8TQMS, which now has 31k mi after one year, is running beautifully, and shows every sign of lasting forever. As with any engine, it will last longer if not abused, but occasionally running through the gears at redline after it has warmed up should do little to decrease its longevity. This is a car that has been lovingly put together for the long run. Save the money. You don't need the 2.8, and you will find yourself becoming more and more attached to the magical 1.8 engine. It is a constant source of entertainment to my passengers, who can't believe how quickly it gets up to speeds you can't feel, but, rather, ascertain by viewing the gauges. Don't forget the sport wheel. Big plus.
Old 01-05-1999, 06:12 PM
Mary

Default 2.8 for the long-haul!

I selected the 2.8 for the long-haul! Having experienced the early deaths of two turbos in the mid to late 80's...I favored the 2.8. My wallet wept, however I was deciding between a 1996 vs new 2.8. When I calculated the expense per month based on 6 years vs 8 years (1996 vs 1998) and even included anticipated repair costs...it was a toss up, maybe a dollar or two additional a month. New one out and I drove home 12/1/98 with my new A4! <p>I never drove the 1.8T, but given that people express semi-convincingly their confidence in the 1.8T's longevity....the possibility that your wallet will survive....go for the best feel! Ofcourse, this is comparing the unchipped version (but from my reviews and understanding of chipping...depending on how aggressive you are there will be some added wear...how significant, I think is based on how aggressive, and if you do a modest chip...maybe the 2.8 wins the race? <br>Good luck!<br>Ignorantly but Happily,<p>Mary
Old 01-05-1999, 08:10 PM
Igor Kessel

My chipped to 18psi '89 200TQ was built in 5/88. In 12/97 added a '98 A4TQ Sport to the stable. For me no turbo, no quattro = no sale. (eom).
Old 01-06-1999, 07:03 AM
DaveN

Default I traded my 87 5000CSTQ for a 98.5 1.8TQSM...

The only major things that the 5000 required were a clutch (@104K) and the hydralics. The 5000s hydralics are high pressure (2000psi), expensive, and somewhat failure prone. The A4 seems to have corrected those issues (the hydralic brake booster is gone thank goodness!). I figure I'll have the A4 for a long time, might just send my son off to college in it (he's 10 now). Also note the engine on the 5000 is a 2.1 liter (with a turbo), and the car is larger and heavier than my A4, so I don't think the loading is a lot different. And those 5000 engines go forever.
Old 01-06-1999, 07:33 AM
BC

2.8 QMS on order, own 86 5000S
Old 01-06-1999, 07:40 AM
rick

Default 170k, 10 years on a chipped 83 ur Quattro turbo

I bought an '83 Quattro coupe (turbo 5 cylinder) in '88 with 34k miles, chipped it in '94, increasing boost, and drove it till 10/98 and 170+k miles when the engine fatally overheated due to a cooling system failure. I drove it hard, and had few problem with the turbo, engine, or quattro system. I had lots of repairs to the front suspension and steering, but if the cooling system hadn't failed at a bad time, that engine would have done at least 200k miles.<p>I have replaced it with a '99 1.8TQ A4, plan to chip it and drive it 8+ years. I like it a lot more than my ur Quattro, which I loved to drive. I don't expect it to be as reliable as a Toyota or Honda, but I don't expect big problems either. The free maintainence for the 1st 3 years is a big plus.

Quick Reply: Long-term (8+ years) owners: did you get the 1.8T or the 2.8? (long)