A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Looking at A4 which to get 1.8t or 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at A4 which to get 1.8t or 2.8

I am looking at an A4 2001 1.8t and it needs a bit of work. Rear wheel bearing noise and timming belt soon ( 79,000 miles). My question is which is better car to get the 2.8 or 1.8t? I want quattro and 5 speed. The 1.8t i drove seems a little sluggish but the check engine light is on due to the coil packs.

also the clutch grabbed real high is that normal?
Is 79k early for rear wheel bearings?

thanks,
dj
Old 12-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Not enough info in your post to comment.

I like the V6. It suits my taste, mod program, and driving style.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You should attempt to search just a little, this is one of the most common questions asked when buying this model.

Simply put, if you want to go fast buy the 1.8T because it has a much higher power potential when compared to the V6. The V6 is a very stout motor with more horsepower stock but with less mods available if you are looking for really big power. The V6 is a little heavier in the nose because of the larger motor but otherwise they are the same car. Yes, it is the same car used for the 1.8T and the V6 so mechanically any problems you will find in one you will find in the other. All B5 A4 cars eat wheel bearings so this is a common problem with both models and the S4 for that matter. As long as you maintain both motors you will be fine but the 1.8T doesn't hold enough oil which tends to get old fast and these motors do have issues with sludge build-up. If you buy the 1.8T make sure to use nothing but synthetic oil and do regular oil changes and you will be fine. I am not sure what common problems the V6 has other than lack of big power updates, the V6 is a strong motor and used in many Audi models so there are a lot of parts around for these motors.

Interior-wise the car are also similar except that the V6 models typically use real leather as they are higher end cars and have power seats & wood inserts all around but otherwise they are very similar once again. Given the choice I went with the 1.8T and after investing almost the same amount of money I paid for the car into it that 1.8T now puts down to the road the same power the S4 puts to the crank. To me that is the real advantage of the 1.8T model, it is easy to upgrade it to big power but out of the box the V6 has more juice.

Do some searching on this topic and you will find more than enough info to help you make a choice. Basically, if you want decent power and don't want to upgrade the V6 is a good choice but if you are a power junkie the 1.8T is what you should be looking at. You can make the V6 go as well but it will cost you a lot more to make this happen.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2.8

I think it comes down to how much you want to modify your A4. Personally, I really like my 2.8 5-speed. It's a solid and smooth running engine with sufficient power and acceleration, although sometimes I wish I had the S4. To get substantially more power out of the 2.8, you will need to spend money. For example, a new PES G2 supercharger is about $3,500 plus $400-500 for ECU, add installation, etc. Then your 2.8 will haul ***, but any other upgrades aren't significant enough unless you're willing to spend that kind of money. Maybe one day I will do it, but I figure my next car will be an S4.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've never liked the buzzy sound and feel of the 1.8. The quiet, smooth power of the 30 valve V6 is much more my taste. And as long as you keep up the timing belt and watch the cam chain tensioners, that motor is bullet proof.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is the price of the 1.8 you are looking at with 79k reflective of the repairs it needs? I think you'll want to see service records and/or take it to a dealer or good euro shop (that knows audi's) and have it looked over for a pre purchase inspection. Parts and Labor can get expensive. It could be in running condition and still need thousands in repairs.
I've got a 1.8tq with 230k on it. My 96 A4 was a 12v V6 with a 5spd and quattro. There is not much difference in performance in stock mode of the 4cyl or the V6 (maybe 20hp) but if you want hp like the other posters, there are many options on the 1.8t from an ecu flash for a few hundred to a Stage III kit.
Wheel bearings are common repair. They do need to be pressed out/in with a hydraulic press but is otherwise a straight forward fix.
Coil Packs were recalled by Audi a few years back. You could have the dealer look up the vin to see if the recall was completed on that car. Coil packs are available from ECS tuning and are an easy DIY install.
Good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The 1.8T will have lots of issues that can happen. Vacuum leaks, Diverter Valves and blown turbos.

But as stated above the car is more mod friendly and can make it perform better due to chips that boost the turbo along with exhausts. The less weight of the engine helps too. That said, I have had several friends who got over 230K miles on their 1.8Ts.

I went with the 2.8.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok so the 1.8t i was looking at the owner decided not to sell and fix. I am now looking at another one but it is a 2000 1.8t. Is there a big difference between the 2001 and 2000? Seems the 2001 has more hp? is it easy to mod a 2000 to be like the 2001? car has 130k with all maintinance done and recipts.

thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1.8T for servicing...

If you are a wrench jockey like me you will like the 1.8T. The V6 is a virtual nightmare to work on and access to many components takes time and effort to deal with. I have 2 90 Sedans with the 2.8 V6 and a 1.8T A4 Avant Quattro. I'd rather work on the 1.8 any day. Yeah the V6 has it's pluses but after many years working on both cars I can tell you the V6 will in the end cost you big time to keep it running. When 1 of the Oil Pressure senders go DAYUMN! Just to get at it...whoa! And the Starter is no picnic.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by quattromano
The V6 is a virtual nightmare to work on and access to many components takes time and effort to deal with.
This is complete and utter bullsh!t.

First of all, you rare need to do anything to the 2.8 if you change all head related seals at timing belt time. Second of all, this engine is a breeze to work on.

Quick Reply: Looking at A4 which to get 1.8t or 2.8