A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

loud banging noise (metal on metal) coming from front brakes since i changed rotors and pads.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something like this...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.permatex.com/auto/autoext.asp?automotive=yes&amp;f_call=get_item&amp ;item_no=80729">http://www.permatex.com/auto/autoext.asp?automotive=yes&amp;f_call=get_item&amp ;item_no=80729</a</li></ul>
Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That sounds like the anti-rattle clips were not positioned correctly.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What kind of Hawk Pads? My HP+ pads rattle w/o discbrake quiet goop.

I have the same setup you have, ECS slotted rotors and Hawk Pads.

I put my new Hawk HP+ pads in over the weekend for a track day today, and had a clunk noise as you describe immediately when applying the brakes. My Mintex Red street pads DO NOT exhibit this behavior, and I haven't used any goo.

I've replaced pads and rotors on my A4 several times, I know what I'm doing w.r.t to installation, and re-checked torque settings on everything the next day. I didn't want to apply that orange brake-quiet goo and get it all over the caliper. I did that once on a pad swap a few months ago and it was a bitch to work with.

The end result from what I can tell is that the Hawk pad backing plates are just *slightly* smaller than they should be, so there's a tiny amount of slop where the outer pad interfaces with the carrier. The inner pad is clipped into the piston, so it's very unlikely the noise is from that. The outer pad rattles around in it's holder a bit, and shakes "down" under regular suspension bumps. When the brakes are applied, the pad shifts up and the backing plate bangs into the carrier. Pad movement is at most 1mm, but that's all it takes under braking for the solid metal backing plate to hit the steel carrier to make an unnerving clank/clunk sound.

FWIW, I said screw it, and ran them like that at a lapping day today, being sure to check everything over between sessions. The clanking noise seems to have gone away, but it's likely simply due to the fact that the backing plates were probably still warm. We'll see what happens when they fully cool.

If these are street pads, I'd re-check everything, and while you're in there, apply a *small* amount of the Permatex Brake Quiet (available at almost any auto parts store) to the outer pads to make sure they stick to the caliper. This way when the caliper releases after braking, they don't rattle in place.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:40 AM

Default very helpful info. thanks...

I opened them up one last time yesterday. I have the Hawks HPS. I doubled checked everything again. All the bolts were tight although I didn't check if the outer pad was loose. I'll apply the Permatex Brake Quiet when i get the chance. Thanks again.