A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Loud Fan -- More Inside***

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Fan -- More Inside***

Last week I changed my TB, Water Pump and other belts on the engine.

I noticed now that my engine or fan sounds louder. When the car is idling it sounds normal. Like it did pre-TB install.

But now when I am in the car and stepping on the gas I hear the fan everytime I apply throttle. Is this normal. Was this noise always there but i never paid attention to it? Do the belts break in and quiet down? Is it possible something is wrong with a fan sensor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Old 06-07-2004, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Loud Fan -- More Inside***

Strangely enough, I noticed the exact same thing last time I took off the front end to change my water pump. At idle, it sounds normal. But when I rev it <b>seems</b> louder and I feel more air coming UP out of the engine bay from the fan ...than I thought there used to be. &lt;shrug&gt;

Andy
Old 06-07-2004, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Weird.

As long as nothing is wrong I can deal with the sound. It is just very noticable and now I'm rethinking everything I did when we intalled the TB.

How long ago did you change your water pump. Has the fan noise got quieter with time?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 AM

Default Same thing here guys

Did a timing belt, and other belts as well on my 97 a4 1.8t and now the fans are a lot louder, cannot figure out whats casuing it. Really strange, where did you get your belts?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Got my TB kit from ECS Tuning
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Same thing with me

I hear the exact same thing. Starting to think we put the fan on backwards?? Maybe its chopping air?? just did my t-belt and other stuff on the weekend. How did you guys get your water pump (new one) belt on? so small and no tensioner to adjust.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The fan clutch may be defective. I've had this happen before too (more)

A good way to test if the fan clutch is sticking is to try to spin the fan with the engine OFF. There should be very little resistance in spinning the fan. If the fan is very hard to spin, then, the clutch could be at fault.

What I ended up doing was spraying some penetrating fluid around the back side of the fan clutch, in front of the pulley, while at the same time spinning the fan by hand. I did this with the engine off, and used a very long thin straw.

Try not to get too much on the belt itself.It is a good idea to actually cover the serpentine belt, especially if it is a new one.

After spraying the back of the fan clutch, it should become easier to spin the fan by hand. This has "fixed" the problem for me, and it has been at least six months since then.

Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just as you described in your other post..

The pulley splits in half, so you sandwich the belt in the pulley and once the two halves of the pulley are "seated," the belt is pushed outward slightly ....which puts some tension on it.

Andy
Old 06-07-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Several months ago, from what I can tell it's not gotten quieter.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Same thing with me

Got my timing belt kit as ECS as well. Runs fine, just think my car is so much louder now, kind of annoying

Quick Reply: Loud Fan -- More Inside***