A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Lousy YBH service experience - beware! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-1999, 08:27 AM
Dave Lugo

Default Lousy YBH service experience - beware! (long)

So I make an appointment for the 5K service at YBH in Edgemont PA (a choice of service departments I will later regret).<p>I tell the service advisor about the squeeky armest problem, as well as a catalytic-type<br>smell under heavy acceleration.<p>My first clue about what the experience was going to be like was when the service<br>advisor (whom I won't name here, but will name to Jim Hanna or AOA) said "I've <br>been doing this for XX years, what's a TSB?"<p>Apparently, he calls them technical bulletins, not technical service bulletins...<br>whatever... I did get the impression that he was annoyed that a customer <br>knew about the existance of TSBs.<p>My second clue comes about 30 minutes later when he calls me over, and advises me that wherever I read about the TSB (and he mentions A4.org), it was not published by Audi on the <br>net, it was by a private individual.. He also said something along the lines of "People read<br>too many TSB's and become hypochondriacs". As if an educated Audi owner is something<br>to be feared... <p>After about an 2 hours, I see my car leave the lot. A few minutes later he tells me that <br>it was going to get washed. Inwardly I cringe - I *very carefully* handwash my A4 every <br>month, and do everything I can to minimize scratching the clearcoat. I've been very<br>successful - the finish was (emphsize *was*) almost as good as the day I took<br>delivery.<p>45 minutes later the car returns - with scratches in the clearcoat. AARRRGGGHHH.<p>I call the service advisor over and tell him:<p> 1) It's nice to ASK before washing - some people (myself!) don't have time to wait<br> 40 minutes for a car wash.<br> 2) Some people (myself included again) are careful about the clearcoat. I tell him<br> the washing scratched the clearcoat...<p>He claims that "Even the new ones on the lot have the same scratches" I tell him to show me, and he takes me over to a new car on the lot. The car he uses as an example had barely any<br>clearcoat scratches. I tell him the newly created scratches on my car are *immediately* noticeable, as opposed to the new car he is trying to compare it to.<p>He then starts yelling at me because I complained about something I got for free.<p>Here's a clue for you, *sshole service advisor: A free car wash that scratches my clear<br>coat is not wanted, desired, nor free to me, or to your dealership. And I don't appreciate<br>your condescending, "the customer doesn't know sh*t" attitude.<p>As I drive away I notice that the armrest STILL SQUEEKS!! The service report states "install<br>isolation tape", per bulletin 66-99-XX. Guess what, no isolation tape installed... the lip<br>was filed back a bit (per the TSB), but the job was only half done. But I bet AoA got<br>charged for the complete job...<p>I tried calling Jim Hanna, but he's out today. I'll call again and leave a message for him to<br>call me back.<p>Again - Beware of the YBH service department. Although thier sales department gets <br>high marks (at least from searching this forum), thier service department definately <br>deserves the crappy reputation.<p>PS - Any suggestions for dealing with clear-coat scratches?<br>PS - Alldata charges for TSBs. I seem to recall a site that had completley<br>free TSBs downloadable as PDFs (or postscript). Can anyone email me the<br>link?
Old 07-26-1999, 08:37 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: Lousy YBH service experience - beware! (long)

Sorry to hear about your experiences. <p>In regards to the clearcoat, might recommend looking for a product made by 3M calle "Finesse-It II". It is a professional product used to remove such scratches and as a final polishing compound for newly repainted cars. Works great for me.