A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

MA speeding ticket advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MA speeding ticket advice needed

Alright so about a week ago I was nabbed on route 9 in brookline MA for 75 in a 40. The ticket has radar and estimated checked. It is for $325. It was about 1 AM and I am pretty sure the speed limit had switched to 40 from 50 not too far from where I was busted.

My question is it worth scheduling a hearing? I have asked a bunch of my friends around here and have gotten various replies. Ony of my boys who has a long history with speeding violations (I'm talking multiple high speed chases and liscence suspensions here, and oh yes he does drive an audi ;p ) told me to just pay it cause it wouldn't be worth my time to try and fight a cut and dried radar ticket.

Another friend said I could argue my way to getting off completely with proper story and attitude with the court magistrate.

Someone on this forum recomended getting a traffic lawyer, but I am in college and not exactly rolling in dough, and i think we all know that parents are not gonna spring for traffic lawyers.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth my time to schedule a hearing and try to get it at least reduced? Should I just pay it?

Would a hearing possibly help keep it off my insurance records? Non-moving violation or something of that nature?

I am especially ineterested in what those of you from MA have to say, but of course I want to hear from everyone!

Thanks a lot everyone, I could really use some advice as I need to make a decision relatively soon.

Oh and I am definately picking up a V1 soon, hardwired of course!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:27 PM

Default I live in MA, and fought and beat about 4 speeding tickets. My advice is

schedule a hearing. If you have a good story, they will knock off probably half of that amount. But that's never enough for me, I refuse it and schedule a court date.
The reason is, whether you pay the full amount or half, it will be counted on your insurance for 6 years. A speeding ticket is usually worth 2 points which usually equals $200. That's an extra $1200 you will be paying over the next 6 years.
Take it all the way to the judge, from my experience, the cop doesn't show up more then half the times. If he doesn't show up, he case is dismissed.
In my opinion, ou have nothing to lose, take it all the way and you might get lucky. If you pay it right away, you never had a chance.

Good luck
Old 04-11-2002, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what he said...just fight it and see what happens

At least you might get soem of the fine knocked off...but even a 75 in a 50 is hard to fight you know. I can't imagine a story good enough to let you get away with that on rt9 at 1AM.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:41 PM

Default Re: MA speeding ticket advice needed

you go to BC? sweet, so do I. Which Audi is yours? I've probably seen it in the parking garage across from the mods. I would definitely schedule a hearing bro. My friend did and the cop never even showed. He didn't have to pay. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2002, 06:40 PM

Default Isn't the new Brookline Police Station ON Rt. 9?....

I used to know a few cops in Brookline. Was the dude older or younger? The younger guys are hard-asses and will prob show up. The older guys don't tend to give out tickets unless they're REALLY pissed and they won't hesitate to take the morning off to head down to court.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear. But Brookline is a tough place to ge nabbed.

Definately fight it though. You'll prob get a reduced fine if anything. Just make sure you have a good story ready for the Judge (if you take it that far). Don't just hope the cop won't show.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2002, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: MA speeding ticket advice needed

Fight it. The worst thing that can happen on top of the ticket is that you'll waste some time. I guess you could always say that you didn't notice how fast you were going, which IMO is lame. Were you going westbound or eastbound? I think once you get around the Chestnut Hill Mall and the Atrium the speed limit is 40. If you've got a clean record, that may work in your favor too. Cops and judges give the hardest time to those who have a bad driving record. I thought the insurance surcharge was only for three years, but I could be wrong. It's $100/point and moving violations start at two points. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default black 98 1.8T, tints, audi sport plate frame, brullen exhaust, huge wheel gap :) (for now)

I usually park on the fifth floor if I can. i looked in your pic poster and i don't recall seeign your car, do you park it at school? I notice most of the audis thats why i ask. I'm a junior by the way. we should bs about audis at some point.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it was a yougn asian guy, he wasn't really a hard *** . . .

the new station is on route 9, but farther in, a little passe brookline audi. I was about to turn left and head toward cleveland circle when i got nabbed, so no i wasn't planning on speeding past the station
Old 04-12-2002, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To quote Jim Carrey from Liar Liar "STOP BREAKIN THE LAW A$$HOLE!" sorry I had to ;)

Seriously though. Having both estimated and radar checked..that's fishy. It's either one or the other. Since he doesn't know which one it is, is he sure he got the right car? I'd fight it
Old 04-12-2002, 07:00 AM

Default ever seen....

the modded silver A4 in Brookline in front of Fuga-ku. (or whatever the name of that Japanese restaurant is) It's always on Beacon St. That car looks hot. He must be on this board right?