A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

MB Quart questions (checked archives)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-1999, 10:39 AM
DavidP

Default MB Quart questions (checked archives)

I just received a $500 award at work and have been thinking about some new speakers. Provided I go with the 5.25 adapters for the front and 6.5 adapters for the rear, which speakers do you recommend and how much do they cost? Componant speakers for the front, and single drivers for the rear? Do they come with crossovers? Did you place the crossovers inside the door? Where did you buy them? I don't there there are any MB Quart dealers in the area (Milwaukee).

They'll be powered by a 4 channel phoenix gold amp (Approx 50Wx4) How would it sound if I removed the rear speakers completely and used the other two channels for a sub?

Thanks in advance.
David
Old 12-13-1999, 10:52 AM
Foo

Default As i have reiterated over and over.....

there are LOTS of good speaker brands. Go to a few stores/shops and listen to diffent brands and sets. Choose those that sound best to you. Granted a sound board wont sound the same as your car, at least your ear chose them. MBQ tweeters are known to be quit "bright" with the highs. Some people love this while others cringe... Its imperative u listen to them.
It would sound great with a set of components up front and a sub in the rear on the other 2 channels of your amp.
A decent set of components or good coaxs can range in price from 180-800 dollars, again, depending on brand and how they sound to you.
Yes they all come with crossovers that will go inside the doors. Some crossovers are larger than others, it doesnt necessarily infer "better".
Happy shopping and then happy listening...

Darren
`00 A4 tired of waiting
`91 Integra (Jan 2000 Car Audio Electronics)
Old 12-13-1999, 11:12 AM
stevebrown

Default Coming to Houston area get together, Foo?

Have your car by then?

steve
Old 12-13-1999, 11:15 AM
Foo

Im going with or without it....it will prolly be early feb...but i can hope
Old 12-13-1999, 10:07 PM
Carlos

Default Re: MB Quart questions (checked archives)

hey buddy, this is what i did.
i went to all the local shops and stores and made a top 5 list of all the component speakers there was. (btw, the upgrade to 5 1/4 is very, very noticable, not much for the bass, but for the mids and highs). i then started shopping around looking for the best price, including the net. my choices ? i loved diamond audio (too much, $500), mb quarts, and polk audio.
The next thing i did was find the best deal, and i found it, i got a set of mb quarts, 5 1/4, middle series and found them on sale ($199) on the net (autotoys.com).
i don't work for them, but i have bought ALL my audio system needs through here due to the fantastic deals.
another thing you don't want to forget is front stage sound, it is better to upgrade your front speakers with 200-300 speakers, than to have all four "ok" speakers.
i did this and had a custom box (with 12" kicker) and switched my 5 channel amp (50x4) to 100x2 (for my mb quarts) and 100x1 for my sub. the result ? UNBELIEVABLE !
of course, this and all the comments are just that, OPINIONS.
good luck, let me know what you did.
if your ever in virgina beach, let me know.