A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Mechanic needs some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 600whpA4
What type of clutch are you putting in?

Both South Bend and Clutch Masters can resurface the flywheels at a cost, but also offer it at a discount when buying one of their clutch kits.

Going with a new single mass flywheel is not as issue on the quattro cars, just make sure to stick with one that is not too much ligher then the stock flywheel. So something around 19-20 lbs will give you zero gear rattle even with the AC on.
Lets take a look... The clutch, PP and TOB are made by "Sachs" - which is someone I have never used. All my Mustangs get FRPP or a well known aftermarket part that you would find in Summit or Jegs.

Austin Veedub has that single mass kit for $550.00 which is what I told the owner to go with. He ended up piecing together stuff for a little cheaper. The consensus now is he is going to sell the car after this is a done deal. I dont blame him. Im not saying Audi is a bad car, just that someone on a budget shouldnt own one. For instance... New Flywheel $900.00 Audi. Ford is $91.00 FROM FORD!! You get what you pay for? Im not going there. I have done numerous passes down the strip in my cars, running 12.2@111 then driving home with no issues. Thats all im saying. I mean, bottom line, they are all junk and they ALL break.

Sachs? Anyone have any experience with this? I told the owner not to buy online as the CV axles were wrong. So could be the other stuff. Not only that, but at least the local companies can "vouch" for the product they are selling you.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW - I clicked on your link. Nice pass - sounds good. 10's are perfect! How's it holding up?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Fox5.0
Lets take a look... The clutch, PP and TOB are made by "Sachs" - which is someone I have never used. All my Mustangs get FRPP or a well known aftermarket part that you would find in Summit or Jegs.

Austin Veedub has that single mass kit for $550.00 which is what I told the owner to go with. He ended up piecing together stuff for a little cheaper. The consensus now is he is going to sell the car after this is a done deal. I dont blame him. Im not saying Audi is a bad car, just that someone on a budget shouldnt own one. For instance... New Flywheel $900.00 Audi. Ford is $91.00 FROM FORD!! You get what you pay for? Im not going there. I have done numerous passes down the strip in my cars, running 12.2@111 then driving home with no issues. Thats all im saying. I mean, bottom line, they are all junk and they ALL break.

Sachs? Anyone have any experience with this? I told the owner not to buy online as the CV axles were wrong. So could be the other stuff. Not only that, but at least the local companies can "vouch" for the product they are selling you.
Sachs is OEM I believe been around for 50 years or so in Europe. Dual mass flywheels are expensive for all cars not just Audis.

There are aftermarket (Luk) dual mass out there for under $400 if you look. Price is coming down, virtually all diesel cars use dual mass nowadays and diesels outsell gas cars worldwide.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Sachs is OEM I believe been around for 50 years or so in Europe. Dual mass flywheels are expensive for all cars not just Audis.

There are aftermarket (Luk) dual mass out there for under $400 if you look. Price is coming down, virtually all diesel cars use dual mass nowadays and diesels outsell gas cars worldwide.
Good deal. Thats what I wanted to hear.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sach is the OEM clutch/flywheel for the B5 A4 1.8t, Luk was then used on the B6 A4 1.8t. Luk is also OEM on the S4's.

You cant compare an Ford with a German made car when it comes to parts. When you say you buy clutch kits from sold by Summit and Jegs. Its the same thing as A4 owners saying they buy South Bend or Clutch Masters, both are USA based companies. CM is located right here in Socal and I go to their shop often.

OEM A4 flywheels might be $900 but aftermarket single mass flywheels are half that price.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

BTW - I clicked on your link. Nice pass - sounds good. 10's are perfect! How's it holding up?
10's are ok, I am aiming for 9's now once I get my new EFR setup.

Car was holding up just fine till 2009 when I started pushing the power to 650whp, thats when I broke 3rd gear in 2 stock 01A 5 speed transmissions. Have one in the car now that has been treated and taller 1st/2nd gear and running a flow control valve, just haven't been able to test it out yet.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

The flywheel being spring loaded is not turnable. If the bit grabs a high spot its going to tear into it and no doubt chatter. Locking it is not possible with most machines I looked at as the machining bits arm wont clear. There is also a plastic piece that is on there that seems very brittle and the dealer wont say if they have another one. They just want to sell me a whole flywheel for $850.00 + tax.

They can be resurfaced, I even had mine stock one resurfaced over 10 years ago. Just have to have the right equipment to do the job and not every shop is setup to resurface dual mass flywheels.

South Bend even has a Tech page for inspecting the Dual Mass flywheel before sending it in to be resurfaced.

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/inspectdmf.html

Last edited by 600whpA4; 03-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 600whpA4
10's are ok, I am aiming for 9's now once I get my new EFR setup.

Car was holding up just fine till 2009 when I started pushing the power to 650whp, thats when I broke 3rd gear in 2 stock 01A 5 speed transmissions. Have one in the car now that has been treated and taller 1st/2nd gear and running a flow control valve, just haven't been able to test it out yet.
Meh... 9's are awesome if youve already got the power. Thats getting into that fine line tho. You can make a 10 second car somewhat reliable. I dont know how the Volkswagens do running triple digits but domestics usually start breaking stuff here and there. T56's usually find their breaking point there.. so do stock blocks. Hats off to ya if you can keep it glued together. You should check out our boat if you like speed. Top Fuel Hydro #777 "Disorderly Conduct" which runs in the SDBA. We took High Points Champs 2 years ago and we have numerous season wins in the Pro Mod before that.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I shouldn't have a problem with the motor. The weak link on the A4 is the transmission, the 01E (2.7t) transmission is much stronger but it isn't geared right for a 4 cylinder and I dont have $5k-$10k to spend on a custom 01E transmission.

There is a B5 A4 in Europe that runs 9's and making about 850whp. It runs a 01E transmission.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyway... just so you guys know - the Audi parts came in and the car is DONE. Finally! runs perfect and the owner is pleased with it. Thanks for all the help... Much appreciated!

Good luck running 9's! Maybe this year I can actually make a race...