A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Mechanical problem, what is my next step?(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-1999, 11:45 AM
MKM

Default Mechanical problem, what is my next step?(long)

I was going to write in detail everything that has happened and what I have done, but it was way to long. Here is the short version:<p>There is a knocking noise in the front passenger side of the car that you can hear when I drive over SOME bumps, not all bumps just some of them. I have taken the car in 3 times to the dealer to have it fixed, but they have been unsuccessful, because they do not know what is causing it.<p>In the 3 times I have taken it in, I have driven with the "Quality Control" guy once, and the Southeast Audi Representative another time, both heard the noise. But when I take it to service, the service tech cannot find anything.<p>I just got it back after the third time, and the service write up states: "...car is performing as designed". Which tells me there is nothing more they can do. <p>Any advice on my next step would be helpful. Should I take it to an independant service shop? If so, does anyone know a really good one int the Atlanta area?<p>Thanks in advanced.<br>MKM
Old 03-01-1999, 11:52 AM
Stu Koch

Default Call Audi Client realtions...

The number should be in you rmanual. Give them the name of the dealer, and the names of the people you delt with. I can't believe that they would admit to hearing the problem and then say that there is nothing wrong.<p>I would also try going to another dealer in your area. If they can solve your problem I would write your former dealer a nice long letter explaining that you will never be using them again, and once again give the names of the individuals involved.<p>Just some generic consumer advice. Hope it helps!<p>Stu Koch<br>99 2.8 qts
Old 03-01-1999, 11:55 AM
T2

Can you describe the noise more? (location, resonance, rattle, ???)
Old 03-01-1999, 12:04 PM
MKM

Default Re: Can you describe the noise more? (location, resonance, rattle, ???)

I beleive it is toward the front passenger side(I wish I knew the exact location, it would probably help). It is not a rattle, it is more of a knocking.<br>I am really not sure if I am feeling it more than I am hearing it.<br>I had a freind of mine ride with me and he said he could feel it in the floor board...<p>MKM<p>
Old 03-01-1999, 12:21 PM
BEP

Default Re: Can you describe the noise more? (location, resonance, rattle, ???)

Was it a thumping or more like a clunking?
Old 03-01-1999, 12:25 PM
Kostas S

Default Can it be the muffler (catalytic converter)? I don't have my A4 yet but a similar thing...

happened to my Supra. The catalytic converter became a little lose and was hitting the floor.
Old 03-01-1999, 01:47 PM
Lazlo

Default Same thing was happening to me.

It was one of the lower control arms on the front suspension. However, it seems like the audi techs would have picked that up.
Old 03-01-1999, 03:16 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Couple of ideas

This to me should be locatale by a god mechanic, but maybe I'm wrong. Some ideas:<p>1) Loose/bad shock absorber mount. This should be locatable by opening hood, then REALLY push HARD up and down on right front suspension. if the bushing is bad, should get a knocking. I think there is a plastic cover over the shock mount under the hood; if you take this off and place a hand on the shock, if you're getting metal-on-metal contact, should feel it.<p>2) Loose shield under the car. I had a Coupe Quattro that had a exhaust heat shield that loosened up and caused a rattling on initial startup. You might have a similar item or else a loose pipe hanger. This should be able to be determined by grabbing the pipe (when car is COLD) and shaking hard. if something is loose, or you ahave an interference problem, this should show up.<p>Knocks/rattles are sometimes hard to find (I can remember many times working with my father for hours trying to eliminate rattles on old '60's and '70's vintage Buicks). They can generally be found by rapping, shaking, or wiggling anything that can move. Good luck.