A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

mechnic breakdown insurance could be a good alternative for extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 04:57 PM
QF

Default mechnic breakdown insurance could be a good alternative for extended warranty

I saw some postings mentioning the high extended warranty cost for Audi. I felt so too and ended up signing for a Mechanical breakdown insurance with geico costing $26/half year, covering 100k miles/7year. It seems to be a cheap alternative to extended warranty. The catch is that I may have to be with geico for 7 years. I think, not exactly sure, (didn't wanna read through every word of the policy) it covers major things such as engine, transmission, electronic stuff. This insurance looks cheap, but not sure how it'll works out since my car is within 3 years.
Anyone have any experience with such insurance?
99.5 A4 2.8 Quo
Old 01-27-2000, 04:59 PM
Bob

3 year leasing is an alternative
Old 01-27-2000, 05:20 PM
JSC

Default There is usually no difference... except that what you bought will be riddled with exclusions

For the price you pay, and knowing Geico, you will be stuck with almost anything but total meltdown being called "wear and tear" by them, which I 'm sure is an exclusion.

"Extended warranty" is a misnomer. Almost NONE of the long term plans for sale are "warranties", i.e., guarantees against defects/breakage. They are service contracts, plain & simple, and most say so, so that they are not covered by various state laws covering "warranties". There is a huge difference between one & the other. The price you got is good, and for protection against major disaster it may be reasonable. But there is no way you are getting any really comprehensive coverage, including wear & tear (such as Warranty Gold, for ex., claims to cover under their policy). I'm not trying to be harsh, just pointing out that many people are confused by the terminology, what's covered, and what's not, and it appears that you may be, too. In this area, you generally get what you pay for.

But keep us posted, it'll be interesting to see how Geico handles it if you need coverage.