A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Mike Hood - who can you talk to on the CF stuff that was made for you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

enthusiast. It's just the motor that he is getting pro done. The rest we will do
Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me thinks you did, but with 034 tuning?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you havent already bought it, I know where there is a much better motor for sale.

Built by Bertil, engine girdle copied after mine by Bertil. Bertil dry sump, mildly tuned t over 370whp. Last I checked 034 is not known for building motors, Bertil is and I personally would get it before I paid 034 to build anything. They may build a great motor, but my money would go to an engine builder with a strong reputation not a standalone vendor. The engine I know of, uses Pauter/Carrillo vs. Scat, etc.. Professionally done.

Let me know if you are interested in the longblock - the turbo (GT30R) and the 034 standalone. If interested I can help you with cost on Autronics standalone ( if doing project again I would go Autronics vs. 034).
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When it's all said and done 034 doesn't build them Eurospec does.....

this did not make me happy in the end, but it's been a great motor so far.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have friends who have blown Eurospec boat anchors, I hope 034 is better than them.

I just found out the Bertils engine was for sale/dry sump and all, with quite a bit of head work too.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Default Re: If you havent already bought it, I know where there is a much better motor for sale.

A400,

Ive seen you whine for a while on the 034 standalone.

I'm curious, do you happen to know if the autronics is a more accurate system (ignition timing accuracy), and if the extra money you'd pay for the autronics makes it a better system?

Also did you happen to update your 034 ECU yet?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can only say that Autronics is easier to use , has an actual manual and doesnt rely on a blog to

solve/identify/discuss problems. Javad says his algorythms are better - who knows, I can only point to a friends situation - the Autronics was tuned in 1 week to 490hp with the same turbo as mine and same cams etc. on an engine that wasnt as strong as mine. Best dyno run I had which was at least 1 tuning session ago was 430whp, car has been stretched some since then. Same guy tuned both and mine was tuned to street and not full out. What does tat say about ease of tuning and user friendliness?

You obviously have been talking to the 034 crew or have some interest in the system so you know that the ignition timing is what Javad says is better and it may be. What is not better is customer service, and instructions on how to install and tune. I have done enough of this that I dont feel that you should need to either call the company or become a member of a list to install and run a product. But at least I can now install an update and it wont die on me while running. I had to find out about this by reading this list, does that speak to you? I could go into promises made and broken, but that would serve no purpose. The Autronics setup is only about 1000$ more, I would have gladly paid that not to have to go thru what I have with this, plus it is much easier to tune.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the hardware/software/engine specs/etc. that make 430whp in your A4?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Re: I can only say that Autronics is easier to use , has an actual manual and doesnt rely on a blog

It took a week to tune the autronics?

Most 034 applications are done in a few hours, I dont know why it could possibly take so long. That doesnt say much at all of ease of tuning.

If you didnt tune it yourself than you ought not make comments in relation between the products. Otherwise the comparison is that of your tuner, not you.

As far as one standalone making more power than another, unless there is fundamentally something wrong with one over the other, tuning is a matter of fuel and timing across a wide range of conditions, and most standalones have that pretty much under control, so the difference will be due to tuning or mechanical differences.

Now I am pretty sure 034 ships a CD with a tuning manual, as well as electrical documentation for how to connect it, was this not the case?

The list to which you refer is motorgeek, and it is an unofficial support forum for the 034 ECUs and similar equipment. Quite often support is given there for other ECUs such as megasquirt autronic SDS and motec. Its purpose is to get help either directly from the source or from other people that have been there done that. It is by no means the basis of support for 034, it augments their usual customer service.

Now I can see you have some ill will toward 034, I do hope that you get your ECU updated and find value once again with your purchase. In time perhaps you will find it on a par with the autronics you so rave about.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Look in pictureposter for engine build/034 SW/GT30R/2L tallblock w/lots of work

I am fairly sure it would easily do 580-600 w/a good tune and a GT35R. Will neva find out. That was on a street tune. Rods/Pauter Pistons/J&E, rest custom made and machined. compression 8:1

Quick Reply: Mike Hood - who can you talk to on the CF stuff that was made for you?