A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Mintex pads and turning rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-1999, 11:56 AM
MichaelB

Default Mintex pads and turning rotors...

I'm about to get my Mintex pads installed and have a question. I checked the archives on this and couldn't come up with much.<p>Should I have the rotors resurfaced? The install is running $120 without turning the rotors. The rotors would probably run $80-$100 additional I am guessing.<p>The car has 22K miles on it. If I need to inspect the rotors to determine whether or not I should have them resurfaced, what should I be looking for? Any help, advice?<p>Mike<br>
Old 04-21-1999, 12:18 PM
Chris C

Default How much???

You should resurface the rotors when putting on new pads. This will allow the pads to bed in properly and avoid glazing. Where are you getting the brake work done? Sounds kind of expensive-I paid $40 to get new rotors and pads installed on the front and have the brake fluid replaced. The rears would have been another $40. Shop around a bit.<p>Chris
Old 04-21-1999, 01:20 PM
Jim Simone

Default Re: Mintex pads and turning rotors... (longish)

Rotors can wear and develop grooves due to metallic content of the pads and, in some cases, minor road debris getting between the pad and rotor. If you run your fingernail across the rotor surface from inside to outside edge, the surface may feel "bumpy" due to this grooving. Also, if the rotors are somewhat worn, you'll feel a bit of a lip at the edge.<p>Audi recommends that the rotors be replaced when installing new pads. Of course, this rule typically applies when the pads are used up as the rotors will be pretty much at the end of their lifespans, too.<p>If there's any doubt, you should check the rotor thickness. The minimum is stamped on the rotor -23mm, I believe. My brand new ones measured 25mm.<p>So, if you have a lot of metal left and need to re-surface them because of grooving, go right ahead. It'll provide a more compatible surface for the new pads and optimize braking. I'd check the thickness afterwards, though, so you know how much you have left.<p>HTH,<br>Jim<p>'98 1.8TQms with slotted Brembos up front, Euro A4 upgraded rear rotors, and Mintex Redbox all around.<p>PS: Is your installation estimate for just the fronts or both front and rear? For F&R it's reasonable. Chris' quotes are pretty low (for the SF Bay area, anyway).
Old 04-21-1999, 01:54 PM
MichaelB

Default Quotes...

The quotes are for front and rears and are from a respectable shop that holds our Northeast A4 Group events. The place is called Direct Tire.<p>Brakes aren't something I really want to fool with, so I'd rather pay a few more dollars to know that the work is done right and will be gauranteed.<p>Mike
Old 04-21-1999, 02:04 PM
Jim Simone

Default Re: Quotes...

I would agree with you there.<p>I had the guys at 2Bennett install my pads/rotors right before the QCUSA track event at Pahrump. Although I've replaced the brakes on my SE-R with no problems, I figured it couldn't hurt to have the experts do it, at least the first time.<p>In any case, it sounds like Direct Tire is quoting a fair price, and it's not a bad idea to patronize those places that help out the club.<p>Good luck,<br>Jim
Old 04-21-1999, 04:58 PM
DaveL

Default Direct Tire installed my front pads...

Mike,<p>They did my front pads for $60, so $120 for all four is at least consistent.<br>It was done at 26k miles and I did not have the rotors resurfaced. I can't tell you if it would've made a difference though. <p>Just a guess, but based on where you live, you probably do more braking than I do. I do more highway driving, so maybe there is more wear on your rotors at 22k than mine at 26k? I ain't no brake expert, so I can't make any recommendations....just wasting bandwidth, as usual!<p><p>
Old 04-22-1999, 08:47 AM
Rob C.

Default Re: Mintex pads and turning rotors...

At my last scheduled A4 maintenance (37.5k) , I asked the dealership to check the front brake pads because there was little left of them. The dealership (Sunset Imports Porsche/Audi in Beaverton, OR) put new front pads and rotors on the car at no cost. If having new or newly resurfaced rotors is important for you, you may want to check w/ your dealer and see if they'll do the same with your car as part of your Audi Advantage maintenance. And after you have the new pads and rotors, swap the Mintex pads on. Just a thought....<p>Rob<p>