A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Miscellaneous S4 facts (don't ask how I found them out)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999, 08:55 PM
Steve S.

Default Miscellaneous S4 facts (don't ask how I found them out)

I have been able to find out some pseudo-techie facts about the S4 that may interest you. Here they are, in no particular order:

1) Front Brakes - Caliper is made by Lucas...and it is honkin. OEM brake pads are made by a company by the name of Jurid (I have never heard of them before). Rotor is much thicker than the OEM A4 rotor, ventilated, but not slotted or cross-drilled.

2) Rear Brakes - Rotor is ventiliated, unlike the stock non-vented OEM A4 one. Caliper and OEM brake pads are from Lucas. They look beefier than the OEM A4 brakes.

3) Lower Front Tie Bar - the S4 has the bar that has suddenly appeared on the 99.5 A4s. It it under the engine and about 12-14 inches in length...looks hollow....and about 17mm in diameter. For you older A4 owners...this may be one way to improve your suspension...ever so slightly. Slight drilling may be needed to make the connection work...(very easily done). For those interested the part number is #8D0 399 403A

4) Upper Front Strut Tie Bar - YEP...its got one...where you ask? It is behind the firewall under that new plastic cover thingy, just in front of the battery. The mounting area has been reinforced. This helps stiffen up the front of the car...I guess the firewall could stand a bit of stiffening after all. To answer your question...no, you cannot add this to your A4 ....it is totally different than the standard A4, IMHO.

5) Rear Sway Bar - looks like the exact one found on the sports package cars of today...about 16mm in diameter. Therefore, no beefing up was done here. Front bar "seemed" to be the same as well.

6) Front Bumper - where you would normally mount a license plate frame, you will find a strange rectangular piece of bumper. I guess you remove it to mount a euro-plate. Well, if your dealer goofs and drills holes in the bumper by accident, you don't have to get the whole bumper replaced or fixed now....It would just be a 18" X 5" rectangular piece that could be replaced. I guess this is a plus.

7) Wheel Wells - the front wheel wells now have vents on the forward portion of the wells. Why? Because the intercoolers have to flow through to something, and this is where it comes out. It also may help, slightly, to help cool the brakes....very slight help I bet. Speaking of vents..the new plastic undercarriage to the engine has more pronounced vents in it as well.

8) Tool Kit - the S4 comes with an actual tool kit in a plastic box. It is actually quite cool. The A6 2.7T does NOT come with this same box. I think they jack may actually be aluminum now as well (although I could be wrong on this)

9) Turbos - the turbos are matched prior to putting on each S4 or A6 2.7T car. That means that if one turbo goes, the possibility that you will need to get TWO new turbos is HIGH. Kinda sounds expensive huh? Ick, how long is the warranty again? I agree that you don't want one kickin butt...and the other one lagging way behind.

10) Xenon Headlamps - did you folks know that they are automatically road leveling?...I didn't..until now. Some of the adjustment can be seen near the front wheel well. That means that if you are carrying bags of cement in your trunk, for some odd reason, then the car will adjust the lights so you don't blind anyone with those Xenons. I like that.

11) Radiator - the S4 radiator looks bigger (thicker?) than the A4. Here is the part number #8D0 121251....anyone want to go out to their A4 and check to see if it is the same?

The only thing I would have like to see was to have the S4 hood made out of aluminum. The A6 2.7T is made of aluminum. With an aluminum hood we coulda saved maybe 40 lbs (my quess)

All in all I was totally impressed...do I want one?...yes, more than ever. Ok Audi...gimme the price sheets so I can finally order this puppy. And I know you guys read this board.. :-) If you don't watch out I will take one of the Monterey Historic S4s out for a little joy ride....wee haaaa....Highway 1 here I come.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
00 S4 (feb?)
Old 08-02-1999, 10:53 PM
Scott G

Default Re: Another great post from Steve S. Thanks for the info.

nt
Old 08-02-1999, 11:09 PM
stanj

#10 is mandatory - that's what makes me illegal
Old 08-02-1999, 11:32 PM
Jim Simone

Default I thought the Lltek HIDs were the Bosch OEM lights for the S4...

Is the self-leveling mechanism not included in the headlight assembly? Or, are the not the ones for the S4?

Hmmm, Jim :-|

PS: glad to see that the shuttle finally made the launch, hope you got some good pix.
Old 08-03-1999, 01:42 AM
stanj

Default Leveling, shuttles and pictures

Jim,

the headlights have the leveling motors allright, but the sensor is on the rear axle, and LLtek didn't care to supply that one. I've been searching for one since. It's kinda like a brainless body now :-) So until I get the sensor, I have the lights aimed a tad low so that I am in compliance even when moderately loaded.

As for the shuttle - yeah, I will have some pix on Fri lunch. It was beautiful from the VIP site, and the scrubs added to the drama :-) Be glad it launched, because the fallback day was Aug 11, which means YOU would have been stuck in a room alone for a change :-)

Cu,
- Stan<ul><li><a href="http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~stanj/Streak2.jpg">First of my digitized STS-93 launch images</a></li></ul>
Old 08-03-1999, 01:54 AM
Warren Wang

Default Jurid makes the OEM pads for BMW

nt
Old 08-03-1999, 02:20 AM
jasyn

Default "3) lower front tie bar" == sway bar?

Old 08-03-1999, 02:21 AM
jasyn

Default woohoo! great pic

Old 08-03-1999, 04:18 AM
Andy Hedin

Default No, it's a structural bar (i.e., brace)

nt
Old 08-03-1999, 05:24 AM
Steve S.

Default Andy is correct

akdfj

Quick Reply: Miscellaneous S4 facts (don't ask how I found them out)