A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

More clutch wear questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2000, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More clutch wear questions

I've read the archives, yet I'm still not exactly sure of what is going on with my '96 A4 2.8 12v QMS.

I feel like the friction point of my clutch is so close to the 'out' position, that I get that driveline shudder when I shift quickly. I feel like I have to slip the clutch not only when engaging 1st gear, but also 1st to 2nd, and even a bit when going from 2nd to 3rd! There is SOME clutch 'grip' before the last inch or so, but it is negligible, and unless I REALLY slow down my foot, there is that disconcerting 'shudder.'

When I brought it into the dealer they said they can't adjust it, because its hydraulic, and the only other recourse is to replace the clutch.

NOTE: I bought this car used in '99. It only had 30,000 miles on it, and it has a long list of options that I simply couldn't pass up! So don't call me stupid for buying a used car w/a sketchy clutch! Also, I live in Salt Lake (hi Matt Daniels) so the previous owner probably did an awful lot of hilly stop and go driving, as I do. Also, the engine is silky, the handling is awesome.

Now, I've read in the archives about one crazy bastard (Audiboy) who adjusted his pedal anyway. He also complained of smoke pouring from his car! While it sounds like he 'widened' his friction point, I am nervous about undertaking such a job by myself(with the smoke and all) Has anyone else done this?

OK Audiphiles, here are my questions.
1) Is my clutch behaving normally?
2) How much would it cost to have the dealer replace the clutch? (I suppose I could call and ask)
3) Has anyone put in an aftermarket clutch (perhaps more durable?) and were the results satisfactory?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-16-2000, 08:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't notice it on 98.5 30V

CLutch seems to engage relatively close to the floor; where I like it. I now have a loaner modified '97 12V which behaves similarly. No driveline shudder at all.

One thing I have noticed is what I characterize as a "flywheel effect". When lift off gas to upshift, engine takes a long time for RPM to drop down to appropriate value for next higher gear. Under normal conditions, I hesitate a second or so with clutch disengaged before engaging clutch; seems to work OK. If I "pop" the clutch before RPM has dropped, get a shudder in car. This is less of a problem when I drive aggressively, letting engie approach redline before shifting.

One thing that helps is to lift off gas a split second before pushing in clutch at all; helps RPM to drop faster.