A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

More stereo questions from the non-audiophile (VERY long, ...suggestion at end for A4 editors)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-1999, 03:04 PM
ughh

Default More stereo questions from the non-audiophile (VERY long, ...suggestion at end for A4 editors)

Haven't decided if I'm getting a 99.5 or waiting for 2000. But, I do know that I want an in-dash CD player and a CD changer in back. I also want to blow my eardrums before I'd blow my speakers, so I am considering an upgrade. I want to use the $1200 for an aftermarket upgrade, instead of Bose upgrade. My goal is to get a significantly better (and louder) stereo system for $1200 or less. If I can't do that, then I will probably just go with the Bose. If I get the 99.5, I'll want to replace the head unit with an in-dash CD player. I'm banking on the 2000 model having the in-dash CD. If so, I want to keep the head unit and upgrade the rest (if I can). I've read through TONS of archives and I see the products that you're buying. But, my problem is I don't know enough about audio to know what my options are. I went to the stereo store today, but the sales guy said he needed to know what the factory radio model/specs were before he could tell me my options. I know there is a Bose and non-Bose. That didn't help much. I am familiar with the terms DIN, ohms, watts, frequency, amps, level-line, cross overs, etc., but how do I know what is important about each one that will help me in my research?? I THOUGHT I knew what DIN meant...I thought it referred to the radio size used in European cars and that's why you need the face plate adapter kits. Then I go to the stereo store and all they sell is DIN! So, is European DIN wider than American DIN or something?? <p>More questions:<p>o What are the models/specs of the Bose and non-Bose radios and speakers?<p>o If I get the 99.5 and replace the head unit, will I need to buy better speakers?<p>o If I get the 2000 with (hopefully) the in-dash, can I simply add an amp and upgrade the speakers?<p>o What are my upgrade options if I get the 99.5?<p>o What are my upgrade options if 2000 comes with the double DIN in-dash CD?<p>o Can an amp be added to both Bose and non-Bose? <p>o Can a subwoofer be added to both Bose and non-Bose?<p>I apologize if this is already covered somewhere in the archives, but MAN I looked. It's like trying to run before you know how to walk. I need to understand the basics first.<p>A4 Editors: Audio has been a very hot topic in this forum lately and I think you could help by adding more audio info to the FAQ section, ex. terminology, specs of factory radios, feasible upgrade options, a spreadsheet of audio products that A4ers have had success with, etc.<p>TIA
Old 05-20-1999, 04:25 AM
Scott

Default Here is what I did

I have the Bose system--I just installed a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 amp with a 10" Rockford Fosgate speaker in a custom box (.75 cubic foot i think). It puts out so much bass that my car sounds like it should be a low-rider, or a tricked out civic with tons of stickeres. Really, it is almost too much....but I got this setup for under $550 installed.<p>Scott