A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Mothers clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mothers clay bar

Just picked up a Mother's Gold clay bar kit from Pep Boys. Includes the bar, a large spray bottle of Detailing Spray and a small bottle of Caranuba Wax Cleaner. Problem is, no instructions. How do I use this stuff? What is the Detail Spray and small bottle of Cleaner Wax for? BTW, the whole kit cost $19. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:35 AM

Default Here's a good article on using clay.

I'm sure Mother's intended for you to use the wax, but I threw mine away. I use One-Grand Blitz wax.<ul><li><a href="http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Cleaning%20With%20Clay.htm">Cleaning with Clay</a></li></ul>
Old 04-15-2002, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check out the Detailing Forum too. A number of clay-related threads there.

Since you already bought it, you can use the detailing spray as the lubricant for the clay. You <i>have</i> to use some kind of water-based lubricant with a clay bar. <i>But</i>, there's no reason why it has to be detailing spray, which is about the most expensive way to go. Many people simply use diluted liquid car wash -- at like twice the strength you'd use to wash your car. This works prefectly well, and costs pennies to do a whole car instead of the $$ you'd spend every time on the detailing spray. Plus you can used gobs of it without thinking about it (with clay bar lube, more is generally better). Lastly, IMO detailing spray kinda defeats the whole idea of using clay to remove surface contaminants and to get down to just the paint, since it leaves behind wax and/or whatever other stuff is in suspension in the spray. Car wash, on the other hand, quickly rinses cleanly off because that's what it's made to do. All of this is why I refuse to buy those clay bar "kits" with the detailing spray. The manufacturers want you to believe you need the spray, but you don't.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Try Car Care Online for some info:

<ul><li><a href="http://carcareonline.com/clean_paint.html">http://carcareonline.com/clean_paint.html</a</li></ul>
Old 04-15-2002, 10:03 AM

Default I bought the same kit and clayed my car yesterday.

I didn't really see a huge improvement, although I am very meticulous and the car was very clean anyway. It doe feel a little smoother but it's nothing to go nuts over. The only great thing is that it took off the paint some ******* left on my door by opening his into.
I haven't used the wax it came with nor am I looking to. I ave Blitz wax and like it better. As far as the detailing spray it is for lubricating the clay bar, I prefer dawn and water, it's a lot less messy.