A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Motul 600 Brake Fluid: Experiences with long-term use???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:17 PM
JWG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul 600 Brake Fluid: Experiences with long-term use???

Anyone use Motul 600 for the factory recommended 2 year period on an A4 with a clutch?

As racing fluid, does it hold up over the long-term, or does it significantly degrade after the first year? (I ask b/c the longer-life Motul 5.1 does not perform as well as the ATE S.Blue/Gold, but better than the Valvoline Synpower or Castrol LMA)

Any problems on the clutch system?

As a super premium brake fluid, I felt surprised to see it cost only about two times more than regular brake fluid at $24/liter.

The other super premium brake fluid,Castrol SRF, costs seven times as much as the average fluid and goes for $70/liter. Moreover, you would likely have to purchase about two containers to have enough to make sure you the 1.x liters you need to completely bleed the old fluid out of the brake and clutch systems. Then you would likely just throw the rest out as the fluid would likely absorb as much water through the atmospheric leak on the bottle cap as the fluid in the car by the time you need to replace it.

The Motul comes in 500ml containers, making it only about 50% more expensive than other fluids per application (3x500ml bottles for $36 instead of 2x1l bottles for about $24). Thus, not as expensive as the 2x price would indicate due to its availability in smaller containers.

I just want to know if the Motul 600 will stand up to the factory recommended 2 year change interval and will function smoothly with our A4 clutch systems.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have been using motul since last july...

And no clutch problems at all. I had plenty of problems when I was using ATE super blue.

I would think that the motul would last for 2 years, but why would you want to leave it in that long? The only reason to use a fluid like motul 600 is to help reduce brake fade during track use, and you should flush your system before every track event unless it was done less than a few months ago. You should always bleed the system after track events to get the used degraded fluid out of the calipers...

If you are not tracking your car, just stick with the Audi brake fluid. If you are getting brake fade during city or highway driving, something is wrong with your car or your driving...