A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU upgrade ... impressions after 1 month

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1998, 08:56 PM
AdrianZ

Default MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU upgrade ... impressions after 1 month

Let me start off by saying that all the premium tuners (Wett, TAP, MTM) were included in my research, and I think that any of them would be a good choice. I spent lots of time reading all that there was to read about them on this Board, on the Web and in magazines. I also called and talked to all the operations and finally requested references from Hoppen, MTM's sole US distributor.<p>Why did I choose MTM over all the rest? MTM is one of the premier (along with Wett) Audi tuners in Germany. MTM is the oldest and often the first tuner to offer choices for all Audi / VW models and the upgrades span from the conservative to WILD. MTM also has the highest numbers when it comes to tuned cars on the road. All their work is of the highest quality (I can't speak for the others but assume that at the least very close.).<p>The last source was the EC magazine article that evaluated all the chips. Apart from there positive comments, the Dyno graph showed something interesting: At the high end (5k-6.5k), the MTM ecu had almost maintained its delta(diff between stock HP/ TQ and tuned HP/TQ) while the other tuner's delta went to 0. This as well as the space between the HP peak and the TQ peak suggest (as the article pointed out I think) that this car did not lose any of its driveability (important to me). I also noticed that even though it was not the fastest from 0-60 (fractions of a second) it was very close.<p>The reason I wanted a stage 1 was because of reliability. I still have 25k left under warranty and did not want to push my luck. Audi also has this engine putting out 180hp and I figured that if they've decided to do it with the exact same engine, it won't harm mine in the least. Once I get out of warranty I likely upgrade to the 250hp kit. When it came down to a stage 1 ecu upgrade, MTM did fall short a few horses, but really did not make a difference. It is also the most expensive choice ($795, Wett is $695, TAP is $495). For me, the extra couple hundred of bucks was a non-issue .... to get 50 hp and 50 ft/lbs for > $800 and 10 minutes of work is a joke. <p>And now the fun part: how's it drive? Simply put, this has TRANSFORMED my car. Whereas before it was quick, it is fast now. Second and third gear, (actually all of them) are a BLAST. The peak for torque is 3k rpm and its almost as flat as a tabletop. Below 3k, the engine puts out a lot more than before. The driveability of the car is great ! I've found that I don't need to downshift where I did before, and I can upshift earlier if I want. You can feel it immeadiately ... and the best part about it is that no one knows. Not the mustang, not the camaro, not the Bimmer. Even an M3 ( and he should/could have easily beat me, but he saw a 1.8T and took it easy while I worked it). <p>There is some downside: There is noticeable turbo lag (just a little, but its also fun when it kicks in). I went through 4 tank fulls of gas before I noticed a MPG increase and was seriously getting concerned (<300 MPG) but that was because I was messing around so much ... I now see about +2-4 MPG increase depending on how and where I drive. Finally, the clutch is a little more sensitive (there is a 30% increase in power to deal with).<p>I've been reading / posting on this board for almost four months, and I almost went crazy choosing a tuner to go with ... which is what many of you are probably going through. I wrote this up to help and to give hoppen a plug since I'm so happy. When it comes down to it, you pay your money and you take your choice. You won't go wrong with any of them (MTM, Wett, TAP). Emotionally its pretty hard to come to a decision, but technically its liek buying a CD player. There are a few major brands all with the same technology, just some different options and features.<p>GOOD LUCK and JUST DO IT !!!!<p>P.S. I just got a new scanner as was messing around and scanned in the reference letters (from MTM), MTM's price sheet, and the EC 1.8 chip tuning article. If you want them, send me an email and I'll send them over.<p>P.P.S. I do not have any relation with Hoppen / MTM other than being a happy customer.<p><br>Adrian
Old 12-09-1998, 09:37 PM
mshan

Default Re: MTM / Hoppen Stage 1 ECU upgrade ... impressions after 1 month

I'd be interested in the aforementioned info!<p>Thanks.<p>P.S. Is the turbo lag more noticeable vs. the stock 1.8T setup? Is there more "ease" during passing maneuveurs (ex. city and highway)? Is the engine quieter during normal day-to-day driving?
Old 12-09-1998, 09:38 PM
Cameron

Default Aside from a chip, what do you have?

nt<br>