A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Multitronic - displayed (explained) in all its glory

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check out this boost plot -- never out of boost!

I have never owner or thought I would own an automatic, but this multitronic sounds good in theory. I will have to drive it.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/41835.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/41835.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-26-2002, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok Boys and Girls.....I got a loaner CVT yesterday....impressions inside....Long...

The CVT is (and say it with me) NOTHING like a conventional automatic. Yes, when the selector is in "Tip" mode the tranny ACTS like a "normal" 6 speed automatic. This is done because us Americans aren't fond of huge changes in the way a car drives and this is done to keep the hysteria down a bit. Basically, this mode is useless. It a a LOT slower and alot less efficient than in CVT mode.

When the transmission is left to do its thing, it is night and day when compared to a tip. First off, the thing is pretty quick. Tips are dogs (before you flame, I had a tip...speaking from experience). Second of all, there are NO gear changes whatsoever. The thing is *completely* and totally smooth. Describing how it feels when driving is something that can't really be put into words. The closest situation that I can think of is a slipping clutch. Say you are traveling at around 40mph at say 2k rpms. When you squeeze the throttle for more torque the engine instantly upps the rpms (say 3k). There is no jerk/kick,etc when this happens, its completely transparent except for the change in engine note. When you have reached your higher requested speed and begin to back off the throttle, the engine drops right back down to a lower rpm. Again, near instantaneously and flawlessly.

Ok, now say you hit the kickdown button. The engine instantly jumps to 5800 rpms (the power peak) and holds that rpm as the speedo needle sweeps the guage face. With this transmission, the engine doesn't have to waste time or fuel revving up to the power peak, past the power peak, waiting for a shift, and then reving up to the power peak again, etc, etc...like a conventional auto does.

Also, during cruising, the cvt will increase ratios to put the load on the engine close to 100% (this also means close to a fully opened throttle body w/ the e throttle even though physically the driver only has the gas pedal slightly depressed). Internal combustion engines get slightly better mileage at high load, low rpms versus lower load, higher rpms. This combined with what I described earlier is in a nutshell why the multitronic is as fast and efficient as the conventional manual tranny. I highly highly suggest all of you go drive one. It really is an amazing piece of machinery and its a blast to drive
Old 03-26-2002, 03:38 PM

Audi Magazine