A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My 1.8Tqms is a real Salted Pretzl... Any advice on cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 03:17 AM
Rich W

Default My 1.8Tqms is a real Salted Pretzl... Any advice on cleaning?

I pretty much left it filty all winter... I figured, the less the paint is touched the better.

I did wash most of the salt of last week (actually washed it twice), but was afraid to dry it.

I can wait until we get those spring showers to get all the salt off the botom.

Anybody have any winter cleaning tips... Carpets too. My LLtek all-weather mats are also totally grimed. They get all fuzzy when you try to scrub them.
Old 02-09-2000, 03:31 AM
Karl

Default Re: My 1.8Tqms is a real Salted Pretzl... Any advice on cleaning?

Salt kills your paint!! Get it off your paint ASAP. Wrong train of thought on that one. Do your self a favor, if you live in snow country, like I do, you need to keep that paint as clean as possible in the winter, or it will kill your finish. FAST.
Good luck Salty!
Old 02-09-2000, 03:50 AM
Roy M

Default Be gentle

I'm suprized your Cactus Green A4 that you keep so imaculate is that dirty. I have the luxury of a heated garage and I don't use my A4's as daily transportation. When I do take them out and I do and they do get very salty I do the following:
1) Complete rinse with lots of water
2) Scrub the wheels and wheel wells with lots of suds and a under carrage brush
3) Finally the car and paint. Use lots of lather and a good wash mit. Don't press too hard and rinse the mit a lot. Sometimes I use two mits. Start at the top never the bottom.
4) Rinse all the lather off a section at a time
5) I let the hose go full bore and stream most of the water off
6) Dry with an absorber
7) Spray with "Show Off" from carcareonline
8) Step back and say I can't believe this car looks just like new!
Hope you have as fun as I do washing my A4's
Old 02-09-2000, 04:06 AM
Al Pollack

Default My advise.................

Rich, this is what i've done for you. I park on the upper ramps by the cruise ships (56th st. west side highway). There is a dredge operation going on by one of the ship docking areas. So, i stopped off to talk to some of the "boys". They said that they could clean your car for around $20.00. This is what you have to do: Leave your A4 in the parking lot. With a crane, they will gently lift your puppy and place it in the Hudson river. They will give you a couple of extra "dunks", just to make sure they get all the salt off. There are also a couple of squeggee guys around that will gladly dry your car for you. I forgot to mention, please make sure your windows are up and all bike racks are firmly attached. Don't ever say i've never done anything for you...

Al
99.5 1.8tqtsc "Bullwinkle"
Old 02-09-2000, 04:18 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Here's what I do when it's too cold to wash...

...I try to wash my car if it's above freezing. But sometimes I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like freezing my butt off washing the A4. Anyway, if my car's covered in salt I'll take a watering can and fill it up with warm water. Then I'll "water" my A4 from the top down. Net result: A still dirty car but all the salt is washed off. Please be aware that you run the risk of freezing your locks or your doors shut. It hasn't happened to me yet, but sooner or later it might. To avoid this problem as much as possible, I usually rinse the car during daylight hours when the sun can help to dry it. Also, your neighbors will probably think you're off your rocker.

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett, Abt, Borla, Euro Lights
Old 02-09-2000, 04:22 AM
Mark

lots of Mustard!
Old 02-09-2000, 04:37 AM
dB

Too bad the A4 doesn't come with that Beetle bud vase!!!!
Old 02-09-2000, 05:16 AM
Roy M

Default Andy if your neighbors are like mine they already know you are off your rocker!

I'm always doing something to my A4's in all kinds of weather. In the summer it is brake dust that drives us insane. In the Winter it is road dirt and all the salt and grit that drives us mad.
The neighbors just look and laugh. But who cares when you have a super clean A4 to spiff around in! Caution keep a sharp eye for the men in the white coats with the straight jackets.
Roy M
Old 02-09-2000, 05:18 AM
MikeZ

Default Is salt really that bad?

Any chemist out there? I thought that salt in solution was corrosive and that dry salt had no effect on paint or metal. Does anyone know for sure?

MikeZ
98.5 2.8 QMS
Old 02-09-2000, 05:53 AM
DaveL

It'll come out of the Hudson dirtier than when you started, though sludge is less damaging than salt

Quick Reply: My 1.8Tqms is a real Salted Pretzl... Any advice on cleaning?