A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My A4 turned 1 year old today...(long & sappy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-1999, 12:22 PM
stevebrown

Default My A4 turned 1 year old today...(long & sappy)

Sorry if stream of conciousness offends...it's the only way I can get all this out...<p>Today is the 1st anniversary of my A4 rolling off the truck that had driven from the port of Houston across town to Don McGill Audi. It was prepped & washed while I turned over the keys to my Bronco & signed up for 4 more years of monthly payments. <p>I still remember the feeling of looking at it & being handed the key as it reflected the light from the car delivery area. It was, strangely enough for a guy like me, quite magical. I remember thinking to myself that if it was a 1998 BMW 328 instead of this car, that I wouldn't feel as content. I was incredibly excited...the sales guy was talking me through his delivery speech, but it was just a remote buzzing in my head as I adjusted the seat, steering wheel, and mirrors to suit me. The buzzing continued for a while, but I was completely lost in a moment: knowing this was now mine and in a few minutes, I'd be headed down a relatively traffic free ride along the beltway & home in this dream of a car. <p>The smell has stayed with me, but in an unusual way: I remember it poignantly, but more as a feeling than a sensation of smell. The only time I am able to recall the exact olfactory response is when I get in my car after leaving town or driving my wife's car for a while. I am instantly taken back to that exact setting...those first 30 minutes or so with the car.<p>Most people, I have noticed, derive much more pleasure from OTHER peoples responses to their car, than their own. With my A4 it is quite the opposite; I could absolutely care less what anyone thinks of my car. It's mine & it's sole purpose is to satisfy me as a modern, industrial, functional work of art and performance. <p>Up until I test drove the A4 (quite by accident), I was a dedicated truck-guy. I was quite sure I would drive trucks my whole life. I quite liked my fullsize Bronco (which was 100% truck and 0% SUV...even if it didn't have a bed). Some of my friends were car guys, and while I did think I might soon buy a autocross/weekend car, like a miata or something, I didn't think I'd ever have a sedan. So on a Saturday, I'm browsing Edmunds website to see what cars my wife might want; she was about a 18 months out on getting a new car. We're looking at sedans for her, and I see the A4 is in her price range. I look at Edmunds info ("Buy this car..."). I'm intrigued. I read everything I could find on the net about the A4. On the spur of the moment on an ungodly HOT April day, we drove to Don McGill & test drove an A4 with the options that I wanted. My wife hates it. I can tell by the look on her face as we walk to it, as we drive it, and as we are told about the options/features. I, however, am sold. Lock, stock, and barrel. The next few days, I do nothing, but figure out how, when, and where I am getting this car. About Thursday of that week, I am in the dealership getting a trade in estimate for the Bronco and putting down a deposit for a Silver 1998.5 A4.<p>When it is dirty, I want to clean it, so that I can gaze at the way the Texas multicolored sunset plays off the various surfaces in hypnotizing fashion.<p>When I drive, I may listen to the stereo if stuck in traffic...if I'm on the open road, it's a terrible choice whether or not to play some Stevie Ray loud or turn off the stereo and listen to the car's own music.<p>The feel of the steering wheel is totally unique & unlike any vehicle I have ever been in...it's what I notice (and noticed) the most when test driving. It's the tactile response that connects me to the car because it's where my hands are 95% of the time. It is exactly like the Goldilocks story: it is JUST RIGHT. <p>The first night I saw the red lighting, I was probably a bit dangerous; I wanted to stare at its glow instead of the road. It was positively hypnotic those first few times I saw it. <p>I had looked over the A4 sales brochure about 6,000 times between my first test drive & when my car was delivered (about 3 weeks). The wait was pure torture, but finally it was mine. I never second guessed a single option I chose, but rereading the details of every option available somehow made the time more bearable. <p>The past year has flown by...I've done alot of reading and posting on A4.ORG. The FAQ's and the forum have helped me install my stereo, the red-map lighting, the Hella Supertone horns...etc. The forum has definitely lost it's initial family feeling, for me, at least. However, I find it very useful and an enjoyable place to spend time.<p>365 days & 13500 A4 miles later, I still have the stupid, s**t-eating grin on my face even if I have to sit in an hour of traffic on the way home.<p>And, no, I still couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it...this car is amazing. 1 year and 3 weeks ago, I would have laughed you up and down had you told me that I would have been this captured by a car. <p>Go figure,<br>steve
Old 05-07-1999, 12:32 PM
Tom Pinkston

Sniff, sniff...I'm all choked up :-) nice write-up
Old 05-07-1999, 12:43 PM
Rick Pardo

Default Re: My A4 turned 1 year old today...(long & sappy)

Steve-<br>It was long, it was sappy - but I enjoyed & related! I'm a dedicated "car guy" who's been in a Grand Cherokee for the last year. So I related, in reverse. I've a 50+ mile round trip around/within NYC and no. suburb, and the Jeep is great as a purely defensive ride, but lacks the grin factor of my 84 Audi Turbo, 86 Supra, 89 M5, and even my 95 Vision TSI (now in St. Louis w/my kid in school). Funny enuf, your note reminded me that a year ago today, my Jeep was rear ended by a 78 yr old woman causing $11k of damage. It's going to my 17 year old, as soon as my new ride shows up the end of June.<p>Thanks for the memories,<p>Rick
Old 05-07-1999, 12:55 PM
stanj

How does your wife like it *now*?
Old 05-07-1999, 12:57 PM
donp

Default Touching commentary

<br>Nice to see I'm not the only one that's connected to their A4. People think I'm crazy and look at me funny when I park in the parking garage at work then stop half way to the door, turn, pause and look att my silver machine that looks so damn awesome under dim fluorescent. Ahhh yes, excellent choice. <p>I just hope I can get my S4 in silver.
Old 05-07-1999, 01:47 PM
stevebrown

she tolerates it, but hates the sport susp :-(
Old 05-07-1999, 02:32 PM
DaveL

If you were originally shopping for your wife...what did she end up with?
Old 05-07-1999, 02:57 PM
Alan T.

Default Re: My A4 turned 1 year old today...(long & sappy)

I'm getting kinda misty. It always nice to hear there are people that are as deranged about cars as I am. What is there that's so special about cars? I don't know but I have to go get the Kleenex now. Beautiful story. BTW I have a silver A4 and just love this gorgeous low maintenance color.