A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My aching back! !*&%$**##!@ A4 seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2000, 05:55 PM
Horace

Default My aching back! !*&%$**##!@ A4 seats

Does anyone have trouble with back support in the A4 seats. I have a 2.8 with the std. leather seats. Despite all the angle, height and lumbar adjustments, my lower back starts to ache after 10 mins. behind the wheel. I've never had any back trouble b4, but it is triggered by the A4 seats. I've had it a month and its not improving. I can go back to the old car for a week and the back is fine, but 10 minutes back in the A4 and it hurts. It's killing me, such a beautiful car shouldn't hurt. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2000, 06:07 PM
TomF

Default here's my story...

I found the same exact problem when I first bought my A4. I noticed it on my trip home from the dealer & after my 10 minute commutes to and from work. I was worried. It made it difficult to enjoy my new car. Then after 2 or 3 months, it just disappeared. I can't explain whether it was me getting used to the seats or the seats getting used to me. My recommendation would be to give it a couple more months before considering more drastic measures. Good luck.

Tom
1.8TQMS Silver/Ecru
Old 01-12-2000, 06:12 PM
7an

Default I found the same thing. Right after I bought the A4, my back was aching like crazy... (more)

...but then it went away. However, if I spend any significant amount of time in another car (most recently a week in a Volvo S40) and then go back to my A4, the back pain comes right back. I have the standard seats without lumbar adjustments. Next time I'll get the sport seats for sure. This is the only ergonomical complaint I have about the A4.
Old 01-12-2000, 06:22 PM
EricB

Default Try a more reclined posture and sit fully back...

I too had problems with lower back discomfort in my new A4. I found that by sitting FULLY BACK in the seat and adjusting the angle of the seat back to be less vertical, I now have no problems. Standard seats.

EricB
98.5 1.8T QMS Pearl
Old 01-12-2000, 06:22 PM
AT

std. 1.8t leatherette seats are the most comfortable i've been in
Old 01-12-2000, 06:58 PM
Joe III

Default My Back was aching too!

For the first month, my back between the shoulder blade was really bothering me. I think the cushions are a little hard in my opinion.

After a while, It stopped hurting!
Old 01-12-2000, 07:18 PM
AndyC

I agree with TomF below, same story here..(nt)
Old 01-12-2000, 08:01 PM
Denver J

no back probs here, proper posture in the cockpit could be the problem?
Old 01-13-2000, 12:01 AM
ChuckH

Default I have back pains for about a month,e very time I get...

...a new car. The only full-time offender was a '94 Taurus I drove for work. I used to practically be in tears every damn time I drove that car. Infact, I could barely get out and stand up! As far as the A4 goes, I think you'll adjust. I would highly recommend the sport seats though, for most people who experience occasional back pain.

Charles
Old 01-13-2000, 03:45 AM
AHB A4

I have same problem as Horace. I sure hope it goes away (got it a month ago).

Quick Reply: My aching back! !*&%$**##!@ A4 seats