A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My commute to work today.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-1999, 08:56 AM
Corey S

Default My commute to work today.....

I wrote this in an email to Sharon L and Steve S this morning:<p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~<font color="#0000cc"><p>Going up Lawrence, I hit the last red light just before getting on 237 East. I split lanes to the<br>front and ended up right next to a C5 Corvette. Course, when the light turned green, I launched,<br>and since another guy in an old Camry had just cut me off a 100 yards back, I really launched.<br>Wheelied a little in 1st, pushed through 2nd, then settled in 3rd. As I entered the right hand<br>on-ramp to 237 (which was empty), I noticed that the Corvette wasn't terribly far back (most<br>cars are left practically standing still). So, I ripped through the corner at about 75 or 80<br>(watching the vette in the mirrors), then launched to 115 before I even hit the freeway. He was<br>history. I got a little further ahead of him on 237, but he eventually caught me at the 2nd of<br>a string of aggravating lights on my exit. He says, "Right on, dude, that thing hauls ***!!!". I<br>said, "I know".<p>;-)<p>Turns out he works next door at Quantum.<br></font><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~<p>Then Sharon replies with this:<p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~<font color="#330000"><p>My morning commute:<p>Get coffee at Peets in Santa Cruz. At the light at the hwy 1/hwy9 intersection, <br>I look over at the cement mixer truck in the next lane over. At the green <br>light, I launch quickly, shift into 2nd. The cement mixer concedes defeat <br>quickly.<p>I ease into 3rd as I aim for the left side exit for hwy 17, and hit the brakes <br>for the 325i who realized late that the exit is on the left, but I easily get <br>around him and into the left lane to avoid the hwy 1 north mergers. Traffic is <br>light on 17 through Scotts Valley, easily managing 80mph up til Laurel Curve, <br>where a motorhome and semi are battling it out. Down shift smoothly from <br>4th->3rd, 3rd->2nd. The motorhome almost has the semi at this point. I'm <br>getting tailgated by a guy in a Taurus. I contemplate downshifting into 1st but <br>a surge of speed from the motorhome and he pulls past the semi, clearing the <br>way for me. I leave the tailgater in the dust. Left lane is clear as I pass <br>the zooming gravel trucks. Major slow down at the summit restaurant fog bank <br>as I get stuck behind a suburban who is going 1.678 mph faster than the mini <br>van in the right lane. As the fog clears, the suburban lunges forward, <br>increasing it's speed by a good 2.543 mph. After a couple more sips of coffee, <br>there is a gap between the suburban and the mini-van and I take it. Shifting <br>into 3rd finally and I get past another gravel truck (he never had a chance) as <br>I move back over into the left lane. I see brake lights at Summit Road and I <br>move over into the slow lane for the inevitable stop-and-go traffic that will <br>continue 'til Alma bridge or so (Hwy 17 tip: in commute stop-and-go traffic, <br>the right lane is faster). I am smug as I move past dozens of cars practically <br>sitting still in the left lane. I even shift up into 2nd occaisionally.<p>My double short latte is finished by the time I pull off into Los Gatos.<p>See a white '98 A4 1.8t in downtown Los Gatos, who follows me up Hwy 9 to <br>DeAnza. I wave as I pull off into the office parking area. Get quizical look <br>back.<p>:-P<br></font><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~<p>I thought that was pretty damn funny. :-)<p>Corey S<br>99 Ninja ZX-9R<br>Wett 97 1.8tqm<br>'00 S4 in "D status"
Old 07-15-1999, 09:04 AM
Sean

SCHWEEET!
Old 07-15-1999, 09:06 AM
Steve S.

Default Corey...weren't you driving the Ninja this morning?

I was trying to imagine the A4 doing a wheelie.... :-)<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 07-15-1999, 09:35 AM
Corey S

Yeah, Steve, splitting lanes and riding wheelies in my A4? Of course I was on the Ninja. ;-)
Old 07-15-1999, 09:50 AM
Brian

Default Re: My commute to work today.....

Then Brian replies...<p>I slip on my Nikes and notice a caterpillar to my right. I speed up my walking pace to "brisk" and easily blow by him like he's standing still. I stopped to take a drink from my water bottle and eventually the caterpillar catches up and says "Whoa, nice sneaks!" So I say "Yeah, I know"
Old 07-15-1999, 10:07 AM
KevinH

Default Pretty funny Corey.....had a 300Z try to follow me on a ramp once

It was lightly raining out and some kid in a 89 300Z Turbo saw me hustling down the highway, so he catches up to try and mess around. I dove deep into a familiar on ramp and proceeded to accelerate through the apex, drifting it a little in the wet. I guess either the kid had low driving skills or couldn't belive an A4 was pulling away from him and decided to gun it to catch me. Needless to say his back end broke lose and him alwost loses it big time. When we merge onto the highway he won't pass me, I guess he was too embarassed to show me his face. All those driving classes down at College Station really paid off. <br>Kev<br>98 2.8QMS, TAP'd<br>00 S4<br>missing my 93 FZR1000E
Old 07-15-1999, 10:35 AM
Chris B

Default I once did a wheelie in my A4

NT
Old 07-15-1999, 10:35 AM
del

Default My commute to work today, same area around Lawrence.

I am getting onto the freeway 101 north, I downshift and can't pass an 18 wheel truck and get stuck in the right line for 2 miles.<p>I turn up the stereo and curse! Why did I sell my cobra before the S4 arrives!!!<p>83' 320is the Orangemobile, avec primer grey trunk<br>2000'S4 on order.
Old 07-15-1999, 10:42 AM
KevinH

DAMN MY PROOF READING!!! I sound like an eighth grader with that spelling!!
Old 07-15-1999, 10:53 AM
jasont

Default Almost same exact story...

Me: GSXR750<br>Him: Porsche 911 Turbo<p>Light mist out. We make a right at an intersection. I punch it. He punches it and loops bigtime! Imagine the surprise of the others at the light. Anyway, I wait for him. He pulls up and is giggling hysterically.<p>jasont<br>1.8tqms<br>ex GSXR750<br>ex NSR250<p>

Quick Reply: My commute to work today.....