A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My conclusions about Dunlop 8000's and Snow. Any comments.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-1998, 05:29 PM
GaryJ

Default My conclusions about Dunlop 8000's and Snow. Any comments.

After an extensive search of the archives to research what to do about taking my 98.5 30Vqms (with the Dunlop 8000's) to Mammoth this month, this is what I conclude.<p>I'm only going to go into the mountains 3 or 4 times a year. Right now, I don't think it's worth buying separate snow tires and/or rims (opinion might change later).<p>I don't want to go through the hassel of trying to sell my 8000's and buy new M+S tires right now (no time or inclination).<p>So, I'm headed to Mammoth with my 8000's and some $30 cables (as low in profile as possible for clearance). If the CHP stops me, I'll reply, "4WD and chains in the back". If he asks about the tires, I will lie and tell him they're "all season". If he checks, on go the cables (until I'm out of his sight).<p>For driving, if its light snow, I'll leave the cables off and drive very carefully with the 8000's. If the snow picks up, I'll put the cables on the front.<p>Well that's it. One nagging question I have. I read claims that cables/chains wreck havoc on the Torsen diff. I know it'll put more stress on it, but how bad is it?<p>Thanks for any other opinions/advice.
Old 12-01-1998, 05:43 PM
Josh

No problems w/ my SP8000's last year at Killington (included mud, packed snow, wet snow, and ice)
Old 12-01-1998, 05:47 PM
Dale B

Default Comments

You are going to have "OK" forward traction due to the quattro, but not so good stopping and cornering ability. You won't be able to brake any better than anything else out there with inappropriate tires for the conditions.<p>Why sell the SP8000's to get all-season tires? The Dunlops will have lots better dry weather performance, and at least as good wet weather performance, as whatever all-weather tire you would be getting. You paid extra for the sport package and got decent tires with it. You shouldn't want to compromise the performance with all-season tires (although some of the expensive ones aren't too bad these days). All-season tires still aren't great on snow and ice.<p>How about getting some decent real snow tires on separate steel wheels (not necessarily studded tires)? I think Tire Rack sells four for about $500, plus or minus. That's just not that big of an investment compared to the price of the car. Even for just a few trips a year, they will add lots of peace of mind, and could even save your car (and you?) from an insurance deductable, body damage, etc.<p>I would stay away from the chains. Particularly with the sport package, I think something is very likely to be damaged. (I don't know about the Torsen diff. issue).<p>Just my opinion.<p>Dale
Old 12-01-1998, 06:21 PM
Eric H.

Default Re: My conclusions about Dunlop 8000's and Snow. Any comments.

I ran dunlop Zs on my 98.5 1.8TQMS last winter without incident. With quattro, this car will go wherever you point it, unless you get into such deep snow that the belly is resting on the table, so to speak. How fast you go is a matter of discretion.
Old 12-01-1998, 06:35 PM
JT

Killington...yeahh. Where ya' from, Josh?
Old 12-01-1998, 07:50 PM
Jay Cole

Default my 2 cents

<br>I think your logic totally sound. my bet says you'll never get<br>questioned by the CHP, but having those cables handy will<br>save you if they get stuffy.<p>I would not worry about putting cables on car whatsoever. Gentle<br>driving (i.e. don't try autocrossing or donuts in the mammoth mtn<br>parking lot) is not going to hurt anything.<p>I was faced with the same problem, but I had the dealer switch<br>out the stock tires with some M+S tires.<p>Worry about the speeding tickets. 5 miles south of Bishop is<br>deadly. Radar detector is a must.<p><br>
Old 12-01-1998, 07:51 PM
Mike D

Default OKEMO's GREAT SNOWBOARDING Yeah baby!

Old 12-01-1998, 08:27 PM
Tyrone

Default Owners manual says NO CHAINS!

Not enough clearance for front suspension.....not even with cables.
Old 12-01-1998, 08:40 PM
tHe uNaBimMeR

Common sense says---NO 'Z's
Old 12-01-1998, 08:59 PM
Fergus Hammond

Jay: what M + S did you get? -

Quick Reply: My conclusions about Dunlop 8000's and Snow. Any comments.