A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My observation: stock air box vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My observation: stock air box vs aftermarket

There's a lot of debate on whether to keep the stock air box or use a cone filter system. I've had a K&N cone filter for over 2 years now. But it keeps killing MAFs so tonight I replaced it with a stock airbox. There is definitely a noticeable decrease in power with the stock system.

I wanted to thread this because I've also seen a study that the stock box has better flow rates. Idk about that...
Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting this, i've been iffy about buying a CAI, but wasn't sure if it really did anything, what do you mean killing your MAF?
Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4FTW
Thanks for posting this, i've been iffy about buying a CAI, but wasn't sure if it really did anything, what do you mean killing your MAF?
The oil in the K&N filters can damage the MAF. Use a dry type cone filter e.g. AEM. Or wash off the "excess" oil in the K&N filter. Don't add oil to the filter unless you can hardly see a reddish color on it.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by filotuner
The oil in the K&N filters can damage the MAF. Use a dry type cone filter e.g. AEM. Or wash off the "excess" oil in the K&N filter. Don't add oil to the filter unless you can hardly see a reddish color on it.
Even with no oil on the filter it eventually killed the maf. The oiled filters made it happen much quicker. I'm embarrassed to say how many mafs I've been through. And it all started when I took off the stock system

FYI "new" stockbox filter is brand new paper vs available KN upgrade
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have always had better luck with the stock air box, but make your own inlet. the stock inlet is restrictive. it has been a while and I forget where I ran it. but I added a 2.5 or 3 inch inlet from under the bumper. remember to always put a upwards bend in it and a water drain. so rain can't get in!
mainly what you get with the cone filter is sound only, it sounds like you are going faster but really you aren't
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xsrfsno225x
Even with no oil on the filter it eventually killed the maf. The oiled filters made it happen much quicker. I'm embarrassed to say how many mafs I've been through. And it all started when I took off the stock system

FYI "new" stockbox filter is brand new paper vs available KN upgrade
The oil in the filter can only damage the maf if there is too much oil in the filter causing it to be sucked out.

I have been running oiled K&N filters on my cars for over 10 years including my Audi which got a drop in K&N filter into the air box right after I brought it home from the dealer and not once did it kill my maf.