A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

my pass. door wont open from the inside =(

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my pass. door wont open from the inside =(

it first started off with the latch not closing and the door wouldnt stay closed. so i played around with it a bit and got it to close and latch properly. now the door doesnt open from the inside. i took the door panel off but its really tight in there to play around with things. is there a way to take off the window and all those bars easily? oh and my hood wont pop but i think i can fix that. all on the day i go to install the new boost gauge and do an oil change.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeah someone posted a writeup on replacing the window regulators. Requires removing the window etc..

try searching the forum (A4 B5) or check in the tech section as I believe Kris said he was going to add it. The writeup had directions and pictures for pretty much taking the entire door/window/bars etc apart.

I found a similar article (not the one I was refering to above) that shows how to remove the rear window assemblies/bars from the door shell. Front doors should be pretty much the same (except shaped a little differently) as they are pretty much all the same parts. Looks like you have to remove a few screws and probably unplug a cable or two. I assume you know how to get the door panel off since you know there are bars etc under it! Good luck.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2593621.phtml">Rear window regulator removal...</a></li></ul>
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Do you mean this write up?

https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2715488.phtml
Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That would be the one! I couldnt recall who had written it, but I knew it was out there!!

Great writeup which can used for a number of purposes! I checked the Tech section and didnt see it, forget to take a peak at FAQ and see if you posted it there yourself (as I have done after submitting something to tech, and never seeing it added, so put it in FAQ myself)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2715488.phtml">NEO1130's writeup: Window regulators/inside of door..</a></li></ul>
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Default damn the window come out and everything. looks like fun!!11!

not really haha. do you think i should use a friend to help take it off? and thanks this is exaclty what i needed.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My rear window regulator is bad, I havent fixed it because it looks like a pain! Granted if it were

door not opening I would probably put in the time and take it apart. It is probably doable with one person, but I'm sure it would be easier (and safer, dont want to break window) to do with a friends help. By the way I had a very similar problem with my passenger door. Dunno why I didnt think about it before. I took off the door panel and made sure everything was well connected inside, (door handle to door latch etc). I put the door back together and that was enough to solve the problem. Make sure you have tried playing with everything in there closing the door up/opening it up. When mine stopped working (for about a week) it made no sense, and after playing with wires and giving the door a slam it worked again. I know, not very usefull info, but I had similar problem and was much easier fix than I ever thought possible.

Not a problem, just couldnt remember where article was located. But thanks to Neo for the article as well as speaking up.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default ahh every bit of info helps i just been putting it off.

its one of those things that i dont wanna do after work. i barely have people in my car anyway. it just sucks i wanted to do my boost gauge but now i gotta fix my un-releasing hood before i go and rip my car apart. so i guess while im in the fixing mood ill fix the door too. also do you know if you can replace just the window lock button? mine doesnt work. not a big deal but just something stupid that kinda pisses me off.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would assume they are individual switches which can be independently replaced..

I have never actually unplugged the windows, I just let the panel rest on ground, so I dont even know what the back side of the window switches look like. You will probably just have to pop the drivers side door off and take a look. Unless it may have been discussed on here at some point, always worth it to search the forum(s). Hood doesnt sound fun either. My hood cable is very damaged and I can't help but feel that its only a matter of time before the cable breaks/is loose enough not to open hood. Good luck with that!