A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My sound system sucks!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sound system sucks!!!!!

I have a Delta bose in a 97-A4. I want to improve it but don't want to waste money buying unnecessary components. So far I concluded that a new amp is a must but I'm not sure about speakers. What amp is recomended and should I go changing all my speakers?
Old 03-03-2002, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dude, just get a pair of 12's and a 1000 watt amp so you can be quaddin' =)
Old 03-03-2002, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bose is an "amp&speaker" package. Gotta change them both together.

I know that the Concert sound system has line outputs which are accessible through the 3-piece harness. Blaupunkt makes an adapter which replaces the appropriate section of the harness and gives you front & rear outputs. I would *assume* that the Delta radio has the same outputs, but I am not certain.

What is it in particular that you don't like about your system? If it is just a lack of bass that is troubling you, then you could get a decent 10" subwoofer and mono amplifier, and you'll add bass to the system.
If the Bose speakers sound chalky to you and you don't like the sound quality, then you are stuck replacing both the amp AND speakers.

You could get any inexpensive 4-channel amplifier, and any speakers. If money is an object, I might suggest the Boston Acoustics Rally line of speakers. Very good price/performance ratio.

I would suggest that you do not skimp on the amplifier. The whole system would cost a couple hundred bucks. The difference between a good amplifier and a not-so-good amplifier is probably only $50 or $100. I am partial to ADS and Alpine as I've had them both. (Currently the Alpine.)
Previously I had a Phoenix Gold, which is a good quality amplifier, but not a very flexible input stage, so the end result was a less clean sound as I turned up the volume.

Using MBQuart adapters, you could put 5.25"s up front and 6.5"s in the rear.

For more details and more options you should check the Audio forum.

Good luck,
Peter
Old 03-03-2002, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i started with a concert, but here is what i did for a moderate but still bumpin system

i got a phoenix gold 4x75W anmp and a JL 12W3 sub. i also got a new sony headunit and a set of mb quart coaxial 5.25 inch speakers for the front doors. the amp is powering the quarts and the sub with two channels bridged. the audio shop i went to hooked up the headunit to power my stock rear speakers by using crossovers. i am very happy with the results. i wasn't overly concerned with the rear speakers anyway, as i never sit in the back. the system bumps, and if i ever feel the need to upgrade further i can move the coaxials to the the rear deck and get a nice set of mb quart compenent speakers for the front.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:09 PM
CMH

Default I have a full setup for sale at $2500.

Includes everything but the head unit.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Bose is an "amp&speaker" package. Gotta change them both together.

Base is defenitaly not there. It also feels like when I turn up the volume..all the way up...it should turn up more. Changing the head unit is not an option for me. How complicated would it be to change all the speakers and instaling an amp? Would new speakers just use the same wires from the old ones? How much money am I looking at for a good amp and decent speakers?
Old 03-03-2002, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ballpark figures...

Figure about $300-350 for speakers (front & rear), $300 for an amp, and about $200 for installation.

Your headunit definitely has line-level outputs, because it has to send the signal to the Bose amplifier. However I am not sure if the harness is the same as the Concert headunit. If so, then you can just get the $5 Blau adapter to give you RCA line level outs too hook up to the amplifier.

If you have the system professionally installed, the installer can save you some money by using the factory speaker wires. But he'd have to FIND the Bose amplifier and bypass it. You'd be better off in the long run using new speaker wires.

Cheers,
peter