A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

my thanksgiving road trip (San Diego to San Fran. to Tahoe back to S.F. back to SD) longish....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my thanksgiving road trip (San Diego to San Fran. to Tahoe back to S.F. back to SD) longish....

Day 1 (wed)

I left San Diego at approximately 3 pm. I was going to leave earlier but had to go to my class for a test. I hopped on the freeway (805 N) to find A WALL OF FRICKIN' CARS. It took me 8 long stop and shift and go and stop hours to get to the grapevine (just past LA). For a good 20 minutes or so i was stuck behind a new VW Passat and let me tell you it really sucks to be behind one of the cars WITH THE BRIGHTEST FRICKIN' BRAKELIGHTS ON EARTH! I merged over a couple of lanes just to find another passat. Great.

Just before Buena Park I was behind a pick up truck that slammed into the car in front of it. I just barely missed hitting him too. I called the CHP and let them know that there was an accident and parked my car w/ the hazards on. I went over to the cars to see if everyone was ok and told them that i notified the authorities. The guy in the pick up truck got out of his car and came up to me and said, "why the F*ck did you call the police? can't you see everyone is ok?"
I said, "Can't you see that the guy YOU rearended has a bloody head? You slammed into them pretty hard. What are you thinking? Were you gonna just drive away or something?"
then he had the nerve to say, "Everyone looks alright so I can drive away if I want to." I thought to myself, 'is this guy for real?'

Anyway, a few seconds later a cop on a motorcycle showed up. I explained what happened and informed him that the guy in the pick up truck was planning on driving away (keep in mind there was MUCH damage to the car in front and an injured driver). The cop confronted the man and the guy was getting in the cop's face too about it. He was trying to tell the cop his perception of the law. Idiot.

The cop said it was cool for me to go so i hopped back into my car and attempted to merge over into another lane.

To make the long story short, I made it to SF at about 3:30 in the AM. I now vow to myself that i will never drive on thanksgiving eve anywhere.

DAY 2 (Tahoe)

Drove up to tahoe on Friday---no major incidents. Took a little over 4 hours (I left SF at about 6 am).

My car is now filthy.

Day 3 (Back to SF drive)

My car is still filthy. Drive back to SF took about 5 hours this time. No major incidents.

Day 4 (Back to San Diego)

My car is even Filthier. I hopped onto the freeway at about 8 AM and dealt with another 12 HOURS OF FRICKIN' TRAFFIC! I stopped off for gas and met this dude in a tricked out GTI. He asked me, "How much did it cost to poweder coat your rims anthracite?"
"What?" i replied.
"I have the same rims at home for my gti. I think they look sweet in antracite. How much did it cost you and where did you get it done?" He asks again.
"Oh! My rims! Well, they're not anthracite--they're powdercoated brake dust color. I haven't washed my car in 3 days and this is what happens." i replied.
"Well they still look pretty cool like that!" he says.

Anyway, I arrived back into SD @ about 8pm. I guess there are 2 morals to this story:

1. Don't ever drive long distances on holidays when 80% of people traveling are driving.

2. Don't ever get stuck behind a new Passat otherwise you'll go blind and everytime you close your eyes you see those brakelights glaring back at you.

MY CAR IS STILL FILTHY.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:04 AM

was there snow up in tahoe?where in SF were you?
Old 11-26-2001, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cliff notes: don't drive on Thanks. eve, stupid people suck,your car was filthy and Passat lights :)

you mentioned your car was filthy a lot... nice to know you have that tight bond with your A4 like many of us here do...hehe Damn, I better get some sleep..
Old 11-26-2001, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, welcome back to SD =oP
Old 11-26-2001, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm, smooth sailing and no traffic up here in the Great White North...

Probably warmer too, 18 degrees Celsius here yesterday!
Old 11-26-2001, 07:39 AM

Default next time.

fly
Old 11-26-2001, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahhh...traveling during holidays...

...BTDT...and recently too. =)

BTW - Got my bentley. Let me know if you wanna hook up to help take a look at your car if you're still having problems.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:20 AM
Elder Member

Default Congrats to you for doing the right thing @ the accident site.

I use to do the reverse as you - SF to LA @ Thanksgiving and Xmas. I guess that is why I am in Colorado now. I guess I found 101 to be a better route on the Holidays. Not sure if it was any quicker but always seemed to be less stressful.

Reggie

98.5 2.8QMS
Old 11-26-2001, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there was a storm on Friday and Saturday...

I drove up on Thurs night and there was surprisingly no traffic. There was a storm on Friday and Saturday...probably a foot was dumped. I had on the 15's with all seasons and lemme tell you, Quattro isn't everything in the snow. The car was still easy to get to slide so it takes a lot of common sense to keep this from happening. Of course, it was fun doing donuts when it was induced =)

As far as boarding...Kirkwood was open with 3 runs (I think) and Heavenly was open with 1 or 2. There wasn't enough snow to open everything, but this coming weekend should be good. It's supposed to snow on Thursday I think.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default U should have left a bit earlier there was a chase on the 5 north...

and that slowed everything down. I left LA at 7PM and made it to frisco at 11PM

Quick Reply: my thanksgiving road trip (San Diego to San Fran. to Tahoe back to S.F. back to SD) longish....