A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My Tip stopped working.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tip stopped working.....HELP!

OK, here's the deal....

I was crusing down the highway, and I'd feel a single pulse, as if the ABS locked, and then let go, and continued to cruise without a problem. This happened about 4 or 5 times at various speeds by the time I got home (total time about 90 minutes of driving). Before I got home, my dash transmission indicator (PRND432) went blank, and if I shift to tip mode, it won't shift (it won't take inputs from the steering wheel buttons either). It appears that the normal shifting in auto mode is lagging as well. I rolled to a stop and then started again, and it felt as if it was in 2nd gear and the entire shift pattern felt "mushy". Any thoughts?

I have a GIAC Tip chip and my initial thought is that it failed and I should install the original chip. It was already installed when I bought the car, so I don't know where it is housed. Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It could be the magnets in the shifter gate

It could also be the circuit board underneath the shifter. VAG it if you can.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It sounds to me like your Tip Chip...

I had a similar problem about 2 weeks after the install of the Tip Chip. Anytime you get your indicator blinking weird stuff or blanking out, you most likely have an electrical issue related to the transmission control unit. By all means put your stock chip in (do it correctly, I didn't) and call GIAC. My problem was more severe than yours and I had a bad adapter board from AWE. But in the end, AWE did a good job correcting the issue and making things right. Of course they also almost caused my car to drop the tranny out the bottom of the car, but oh well

BTW: Go to the link below, AWE has a nice write up how to get at your Tip Chip. Look under chips in the Audi section under your car.<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com">http://www.awe-tuning.com</a</li></ul>
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I did a VAG check about 2 weeks ago and it indicated low voltage in the Tip circuit,

It was running fine up to now. Since that was the first time I did a VAG check, I wasn't sure if it was good or bad, since I didn't have any issues with the Tip. I assumed it was low from the Tip chip, and therefore was OK.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wonder if it's ok to drive my car in regular automatic mode?

at least for the time being.

I do have an extended warranty, but the chip would certainly void it, so if I swap chips, THEN bring it to the dealer, would that be best?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd check it again, definately after what just happened.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 PM

Default I wouldn't... (more)

Mine acted up when I was 45 miles from anywhere. I was driving along with the cruize set at 62 and the transmission popped like I hit a 4" diameter log in the road; VERY NASTY. That's when the transmission went crazy, like yours but worse. The car wasn't drivable because it got stuck in 4th gear. Reverse worked okay, but drive was sluggish (like starting out in 4th gear I guess). Others have had similar problems with their Tip Chips. Believe me when I tell you, you do not want to experience your transmission going to 1st gear or reverse at 60-70 mph like I did. I'm just going to consider myself lucky the the transmission wasn't damaged and end up costing me a few G's.

You be the judge...
Old 06-20-2005, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Are the chips located in the same place, meaning the engine and Tip chips?

I looked at the right up, but couldn't distinguish if they just meant the engine chip, or if it applied to the Tip chip as well. Or do I need to take a remedial english class? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:09 PM

Default No...

The engine ECU is in the engine compartment on the driver's side between the firewalls. The transmission control unit is under the carpet in the front passenger's foot well (under floor mat). It's easy enough to get out. It took me about 5 minutes the first time. I can do it in about 2 minutes now.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default its the chip...or rather the socket that holds the chip.

i had the same problem. id be driving on the freeway then all of a sudden the car would jerk, gear indicator would go blank, rpm would shoot up and stay there. i sorta figrued out an extremely temporary fix but i stopped using it. it use to hit the passenger side floor(the tip ecu it right bleow the carpeting) with my torque wrench(id let it free fall) and the tranny would come back. this was ok for street use but i figured its bad for the tranny to jerk and shift to 4th every 5-10min while going 70+mph so i left it alone. im more than certain its the socket(or like TJHUB said, the adapter board).

if you bought it from awe-tuning, send it back and have them fix it or take it to your local giac dealer. its an easy fix but can cause major damage.

good luck
vick

Quick Reply: My Tip stopped working.....HELP!