A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need advice for unlocking doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for unlocking doors

Car's battery is dead.

I think the fuse for the central locking pump is blown, so even if I can get power, I can't unlock the doors.

The mechanical locking mechanism on the two front doors seems to be broken or disconnected, so even with the main key the doors won't unlock.

The trunk does unlock, so I have access to that.

The rear folding seats are unlocked, but latched. It doesn't have the small pass-through for skis, but it does split in the middle and I can push to get in between them a bit.

What's the best way to manually get to the door handles on the inside so the doors unlock? Those are mechanically connected, so it should do the trick.

Is there a way to detach the upper rear deck from the trunk so I can unlatch the fold-down seats and crawl through to unlock the door? Or is the only course of action to try to get a clothes hangar or something through the split in the rear seats and loop around the door handle?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bsewall

I think the fuse for the central locking pump is blown, so even if I can get power, I can't unlock the doors.
Why not use a blow gun instead of the pump. Gently blow the buttons up.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The key in the front door locks should be mechanically connected to the lock mechanism.
During a central locking pump failure, or flat battery, it is still possible to unlock the doors individually.
If you're absolutely sure you can't manually open either door (which I find to be an unlikely scenario), you might get away with some kind of wire rig via the boot, but it'll be very fiddly.
I'd also try to release the split-fold somehow.

With access to the boot, you could look at getting the pump repaired, then hotwiring it to manually unlock the car...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUDI-A3-A...f769071&_uhb=1

Edit:
Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Why not use a blow gun instead of the pump. Gently blow the buttons up.
That's not a bad idea - the hose is simply pugged into the central locking pump, can be removed (carefully) with a screwdriver.

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 09-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I am 100% sure that neither front doors unlock manually (via the mechanical hook-up). I know they used to and I don't know what happened. Perhaps something inside the doors broke or disconnected. I've tried with two different keys (not including the valet key).

I think the central locking pump is fine, but I think the fuse is bad. Unfortunately the fuse is inside the car, so I have no way of changing it, until I get into the car.

A blow gun? That's a good idea! Although I don't have one, nor an air compressor. Any idea if it can be done manually with just a mouth?

Alternatively I could call AAA and have them come out to open the doors. They'd probably slimjim it, I assume, but what's the fun in that?