A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need help from Chip owners..especially APR folks

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-1999, 03:15 PM
Raja

Default Need help from Chip owners..especially APR folks

Here's the deal: I get the chip last week, install it myself, do the required "learning" wait with the key in the ignition, fire it up and go. The car hauls ***! Straight up till redline in 2nd-3rd is ridiculous, and 4th and 5th aren't slouches either. Then saturday I get four friends in the car, and pulling out of a mall, I scrape the bottom of the car rather loudly. I stop and look and don't see anything. Maybe I'm being paranoid now, but the car doesn't feel as fast as it did last week. The car also sounds louder, and still pulls pretty hard, but not as much as when I first installed the chip. Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? I haven't contacted APR yet, because I wanted to get an idea from you guys and gals before I bother them about it. Could I have done something to the exhaust when I scraped, and if so, would this result in a loss of power? Thanks in advance.

Raja Hamilton
Old 09-03-1999, 05:54 PM
J. J. Shaw

Default Re: Need help from Chip owners..especially APR folks

I have not chipped our car yet, but if you dented the exhaust it would effect performance. If its dented behind the cat it would give you a reason to buy a aftermarket exhaust and get even more h.p.
Old 09-03-1999, 09:09 PM
MAXFX

Default I like your way of turning a problem into an opportunity, J.J.!

Old 09-04-1999, 05:12 AM
Head to head comparo - same car, same dyno

Default Hey Raja, you should dyno the APR and Autothority chips when you're at Autothority on the 11th

nt
Old 09-04-1999, 05:56 AM
Raja

Default Re: Need help from Chip owners..especially APR folks

I actually do have a Neuspeed exhaust sitting in the room in its box looking at me. I can't get installed before Wednesday because everyone around here is booked solid, but I will have the APR chip dyno'd at the Autothority tech session. I just have a gut feeling that something isn't running right in 1.8T land.

Raja
Old 09-04-1999, 09:54 AM
PJ

Default its only speculation on my part but I don't think that the chip has anything to do with it. (more)

If you think that it might be the chip you can always reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery. APR is pretty good in the customer service department but I'd bet $ to donuts that the chip has nothing to do with it