A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need help with chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-1999, 06:12 PM
Ryan

Default Need help with chips

It seems like the guys with Auto Thority chips are happy. I want a chip that is extremely reliable, it doesn't have to put out 1.0bar, but i do not want to hear knocking/pinging. Choices? $$$?
Old 09-16-1999, 02:53 AM
Rodney

Default Nocking/pinging issues

Seem to be more dependant on where you are located (gas in the area) than anything else. This is based on what I've read hear over the past 3 years, and Don P.'s chip survey. I believe just about every chip made has had at least one pinging complaint (not sure on that), what's more important is how well the chip maker corrects the problem. One reason stock engines are detuned and chip tuning is viable is because the manufacturers are very conservitive and design for all climates and grades of gas. In the case of the 1.8t, it's also a marketing issue...Audi not wanting to eat into sales of the more profitable 2.8. There's actually a recent post about pinging with a stock engine (most likely due to a bad batch of gas).

If the A4 is your only car (like me) and you can't afford any downtime, you have a couple of options. Your best bet is to go with a tuner in your area...no downtime and they can correct any problem on the spot. Next choice is a seperate ECU, if there's a problem you can go back to stock while the tuner fixes it. Third is socketed, again, you have the ability to go back to stock while the problem gets fixed. Fourth is security deposit...you buy their chip and put a security deposit on it, they mail it to you...problems send it back for them to correct, you still have your stock ecu...when you're satisfied that the new mone works fine, you send your stock ecu back to them and they credit your security deposit.

As for settling for .8 bar vs. 1.0 bar, I would be more concerned with the tuner and their history. As pointed out below, a .8 bar can put out nearly as much power as a 1.0 bar. Some claim that the KKK K03 turbo becomes less efficient beyond .8 bar of boost. I don't know.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-16-1999, 12:05 PM
alex-8kchipped no problems with 92octane..

Neuspeed is one of the more conservative and very reliable in my opinion....nt