A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need Help Please....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please....

I need to know if theres an adjustment on the power steering belt that drives the water pump...I've almost got the car back together from a timing belt job but cant get the belt from the power steering to the water pump tight. I have a feeling this is why the pump failed to begin with so I'd like to make sure theres tension on this belt this time. Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure which engine you have - but typically this belt has a tensioner that you roll back with a wrench to get the belt on, and then let go of and it applies tension to the belt.

Sometimes if you don't wrap them around the pulleys in the correct way, they can appear too big. Check for the diagram on how it goes on and make sure it is on their correctly...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's a 99 A4 B5 AEB with the external water pump. The pulley on the water pump flange comes apart like a sandwich. I'm hoping the failed water pump I just replaced didn't jack up the power steering system that its directly connected to via that v-belt.