A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need Info!! How are the sport tires in snow with quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1998, 08:16 PM
kr

Default Need Info!! How are the sport tires in snow with quattro?

I just received my '99 2.8QMS and had negotiated with my dealer to switch the sport wheels to the 5 spoke. Now that I have the car with the sport wheels, I like them enough to keep them but am worried about their performance in the snow (Utah). I need to make the decision this week and would appreciate any information/comments.
Old 11-16-1998, 08:53 PM
tHe uNAbiMmeR

Default Don't try it............

I suppose you also wear your sneakers in the snow?<p>put the RIGHT tires on your car.....AWD will not help you here.<p>
Old 11-16-1998, 09:21 PM
Tim Long

Default I also want to know

Background - 2.8QMS in Southern California. It rains in the winter. We NEVER have snow anywhere in the Los Angeles basin. I may only go skiing/to the snow 1 or 2 weekends a winter. I've read here that you shouldn't take the Dunlop SP8000's to the snow. Now, I have about 3 options:<p>- Do it anyway<br>- Switch to an all season tire for the 1-2 weekends I'll ever need it<br>- Get a set of tires to swap (Obviously I'm not going to do this)<p>My dealer suggested that, for 1-2 weekends a year, the sport tires would be fine.<p>What are the group's thoughts on this?
Old 11-16-1998, 11:50 PM
Ned

Default My experience

i always drove my Audi in the snow with Toyo Proxes T1's, which are high perf. tires. Initial traction isnt bad as long as the snow wasnt too deep. In turns, it wasnt bad at all, very controllable but they would drift, i had my fun, but with 245/40 17's, they were pretty much likes ski's when trying to stop quick. But not as bad as you would think. I went skiing several times in upstate NY and in Vermont with them and i really had alot of fun! the standard sport tires shouldnt be bad at all, they will stop better than what i had.
Old 11-17-1998, 12:00 AM
ChuckH

Default Scary business!

Although the quattro will most likely be able to get you moving, you will never be able to stop or turn with the Dunlops. If you were in California and thought you might see and inch or two of white stuff, maybe twice in the whole season, then it may be worth the risk. In Utah though, you need some snow tires. Don't risk your car or your life just to save a few hundred $$$'s. It's not worth it. Besides, having the winter tires will save wear on the Dunlops :-) <p>Charles<p>
Old 11-17-1998, 02:01 AM
GregW

Default Not sure what I'd do in your shoes...

I'd probably try to hitch a lift with friends.<p>But if you do decide to risk it on the sport tires, remember to slow down to an utter crawl if you're running on snow.<p>I'd also be seriously paranoid about getting into a "chains required" condition - would likely rip the sport tires to shreds.<br>
Old 11-17-1998, 04:05 AM
Edmund F

Default The SP8000e are for dry & wet only...not snow.

Old 11-17-1998, 04:59 AM
chrisd

Default i am in the same position...this is what I'll do

I'll probably ski 5-10 weekends but I'll buy a set of pro-winter all seasons vs pro-summer all seasons and put them on dedicated wheels. Yeah, it seems like throwing away $$$, but in my experience (6 yrs of 15 wkends per season driving from San francisco to Tahoe), sport tires stink (had them on my GTI) and chains really eat'em up. <p>I guess I'd rather spend the coin now, rather than in the body shop. Maybe I'm getting old.
Old 11-17-1998, 05:02 AM
skimants

Default Re: My experience last year

As I got my A-4 last winter and we had a mild winter in NE I stayed with the Dunlap 8000 and found them acceptable upon encountering occasional snow. I attribute that to the fact the tires had little wear and deep tread blocks. However this year I's switch to a snow/winter tire as these tire now are worn a bit more.<br>I'd say if your cautious you might be able to get by...but a good winter tire is safer.<br>Skimants<br>98.5QsptTip<br>
Old 11-17-1998, 05:16 AM
Nina

Default Re: Need Info!! How are the sport tires in snow with quattro?

I've skiied a number of times in Utah. I can't imagine that you would even consider NOT getting snow tires.

Quick Reply: Need Info!! How are the sport tires in snow with quattro?