A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

need more information on Bosch F2CS Spark Plugs (more...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-1999, 07:32 PM
mike

Default need more information on Bosch F2CS Spark Plugs (more...)

Hi,<p>I have read a few posts (including) archives how the "colder" spark plugs eliminate pinging (for those who experience it) and smooth out the car. I have a few questions for you who have them or know how they work.<p>1.does it really eliminate pinging? The reason I ask is I am running at 12PSI and have some slight pinging even with my timing turned back 2 degrees below stock!!!<p>2.how can a spark plug prevent early detonation?<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am hoping that the bosch plugs will eliminate my problems.<p>mike<br>1.8 T 12PSi
Old 03-17-1999, 12:51 AM
Lucas

Default Re: need more information on Bosch F2CS Spark Plugs (more...)

Its a funny term "Colder", What actually this means is the Spark Plug electrodes actually run Colder, this suit Hotter Running motors, ie Hot Combustion chamber temps.<br>Having a Cold Plug in a normally driven motor (No Race conditions) and normally aspirated or low turbo boost levels, will actually "Foul the Plug" The electrode temps are not enough to burn of deposits like carbon. This is where a hotter plug is suited, the plug runs hotter to burn off these deposits.<br>If the Plug runs to hot, which is the case in many High Comp, High Boost and hard driven engines, the plugs temperature is enough to detonate the Fuel/Air Mix before the actual spark is generated. This is pinging. So the ideal Plug is one cold enough that does not Foul with normal driving, but does not run to hot to cause detonation.<br>There are other factors that can also cause detonation. For example Audi 1.8T engines that are ver AEB have a slightly different Head with larger "Quench Area" built into the combustion chamber, this aids in cooling the Air/Fuel mix as it enteres the combustion chamber, these appeared in late 96 onwards models.<br>Previous version of this motor was prone to pinging as the air/Fuel was hotter and some of these cars you cannot chip because of pinging with standard ECU. By adding boost just makes the pinging worse.<br>So a Cold Plug may or may not help you with your ping problem, but you may then end up with plug fouling if you are a very sedate driver. Usually one or two good hard revs cleans the plugs up.<br>By the way the first tho characters of F2CS ie F2 is the temperature rating. F2 being 2nd coldest plug, your stock plugs are about F7 and you can go to about a F12 (Definately not recomended for Turbo).<br>The F2CS Plug is also known as the Bosch Motorsport Plug.<br>