A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need Radar advice......quick!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-1999, 12:39 PM
MSM

Default Need Radar advice......quick!!

I have had my Avant for a little over a year<br>and no tickets, and I definalty dont meander around.<br>This week I have gotten two tickets!!!!!!!! One in NY<br>and one in CT. And I wasnt even going that fast. The <br>NY one was a trap that caught my self and 8 others!!!!!<br>I haven't used a radar detector in about 6 years, but it's time <br>to start considering one again. Big problem is <br>I'm not up on the technology. Last detector I had<br>responded to x,k and ka. Now there is radar, infra-red and <br>lord knows what else. <br>I while ago there was a style called a remote unit.<br>Sensors were in each bumper and the display could be <br>discreatly mounted where you may only see it. These were<br>by far the most effective units. Are these still available,and<br>are they as good as the current window models. I do know <br>this first hand, once a cop sees the detector<br>on the visor or window they have little mercy. <br>I'm so pissed over this. If I was really putting the A4<br>though the paces I would take my medicine. But, mass traps<br>and zapping cars with laser right after the speed limit drops<br>is dirty pool. At this rate I won't be driving my A4 much longer.<br>Any suggestions would be apprieceated.<br>Thanks <br>Mark
Old 03-17-1999, 12:42 PM
ELH

Check the archives for valentine radar
Old 03-17-1999, 12:58 PM
bob

Default Re: Need Radar advice......quick!!

radar detectors are never going to provide you protection from indescretions with the speed limit. the police now gun their radar and your detector will only pick it up after it's too late. here's the best method i've found once on the highway. find the first backwards baseball cap in a 1987 chevy monte carlo and pull around him fast enough to 'insult' his manhood. after he passes you doing 85mph, just sit a hundred yards back and enjoy the ride. they can't resist the challenge of racing an A4! another audi advantage.
Old 03-17-1999, 12:59 PM
vik

Default Here's some quick (but long) advice...

...Valentine 1. THE best radar/laser detector you can buy. Period. www.valentine1.com<p>The caveat is that there's not much you can do about laser. The light beam doesn't spread out much, like radar does, so when the detector goes off it's pretty much 90% certain that you're caught. Lidatek (www.lidatek.com, I think?) makes a laser jammer that C&D reviewed positively, and I've considered one of these off and on, but I'm not yet convinced.<p>But the V1 is hands-down worth the money. Yes, it's the most expensive detector out there, but the first time it saves you from a ticket, it pays for itself anyway, so there's no reason to scrimp. And if it's a major concern, you can always look for a used unit on ebay or Valentine's site itself -- they sell refurbished units. I wouldn't worry about durability: I have had mine for four years and two nasty drops onto pavement. Other than a scuffed corner, my V1 is none the worse for wear.<p>As for performance, the V1 has better range than any other detector, fewer falses, better customer service (they always offer upgrade paths), and, most importantly, provides the best information. It tells you how many signals it's getting, and where the strongest signal is located, and once you've driven with this info, you won't be able to go back to an old-fashioned detector.<p>Plus, the V1 gives you options for mounting. They include hardware to hardwire the V1 into your car, which eliminates the highly visible coiled lighter plug cord. Also, they sell a remote display which blanks the main unit display, so that anyone behind you won't see the blinking lights. I have my V1 hardwired and clipped to the visor, with the remote display cut into the dash. To give you an idea of its stealth, my car was broken into two summers ago, and the dirty bastards took everything that wasn't nailed down, including my shoulder bag that contained nothing of value except notes from my job. But they never saw the V1.<p>Usual disclaimers apply -- I'm not an employee or an associate. But I am damn enthusiastic about the product, and I figure a visionary like Mike Valentine ought to be rewarded with as many sales as possible...<p><br>-vik<br>1.8tqms (5 weeks away?)
Old 03-17-1999, 01:12 PM
John

Default Re: Need Radar advice......quick!!

While it is true that if Lidar is aimed at your car and you are speeding, they probably got you nailed. But Lidar hasn't come anywhere near replacing radar in most sections of the country. The reason is that Lidar must be hand-held, outside a vehicle, and must get a good snapshot from either the front or the rear. This means that usually you'll find Lidar located on freeway overpasses and very few other locations. Even when Lidar is in use, the V-1 will pick up "bounced" signals even when you aren't directly in the aim of the gun.<p>I know the V-1 is effective against Lidar, as I've been "saved" twice by this degree of sensitivity in 5 months of use.<p>As far as radar is concerned, there is NO equal to the V-1 when it comes to false rejection, additional information it provides over all other detectors, and it's awesome range in all directions.<p>Costs more, but well worth it.<p>John
Old 03-17-1999, 01:15 PM
Jason Beeper

Default Re: Here's some quick (but long) (AGREE 100%)

I am not a V1 spokesperson either but I can vouch for what has been said. I've owned mine for a month a will NOT drive on the highway without it. I travel on Long Island and there are REVENUE traps everywhere. I usually drive 70-75 and at times make a run up to 80 but I have so much more courage to do it now. I usually go with the flow most of the time but when the road is empty 55 is so damn lame!! Buy it...you will not regret it!! I also suggest buying the concealing unit which enables you to drive at night without attracting a convoy of people lacking radar protection.
Old 03-17-1999, 01:47 PM
DaveG

Default K40 v. V1

Two of my friends have K40's.<p>1 w/ a 993, then a 996 -- doesn't spend a second under 85 mph on the highway & no tickes in over 2 years.<p>The other is w/ a MB E430 and no problems here either.<p>Cost is the only hang-up. The K40 is over $1000.
Old 03-17-1999, 01:47 PM
Larry Victor

Default Mostly agree with other posts, but........

There are some disadvantages to V1, & some good alternatives. There's no doubt that V1 is a superb unit, (I've used one for years), however:<br>It's bulky, heavy, & hard to conceal.<br>It's expensive, & YES, upgrades are available as technology changes, however the upgrades themselves are quite expensive. (I was quite annoyed recently when a proposed upgrade of the super wideband & laser capabilities was priced at $250)<br>For a while, I have been using a Uniden (believe it or not!) model LRD 6599 SWS which, while not having all the bells & whistles of V1, has proven itself virtually as capable at avoiding the "unwanted", and at less than half the cost. <br>That being said, let me reiterate that V1 is a great unit, & in fact I may still do the upgrades to mine! I just thought you'd like a little broader perspective.<br>BTW, if you are truly interested in a built-in system, look at the K40 unit (from K40 Electronics). <br>
Old 03-17-1999, 02:35 PM
Seth H.

Default Anyone completely conceal the V1? (long)

American Soundcraft in Syosset, NY does some spectacular mobile electronic installations, but at spectacular cost. The V1 is no exception. I have seen some of their installations, and they manage to hide the entire unit, with just the concealed display visible, and sometimes this is mounted flush on the sun visors! Unfortunately, they want well over $1000 for this. Has anyone taken the V1 apart and done a similar install themselves? How did you mount the antennae? Under the bumpers? Would that restrict the range of the detector? Please send me an email if you post a reply. Thanks alot. <br> Seth
Old 03-17-1999, 02:49 PM
Nadeem

Default One word(s) of caution...

When you are the only one on the road and a cop has "instant on" (k band) radar, your detector is not going to go off until he's got you. In my view, radar detectors are great but if there is not traffic ahead of you then you do not have much more protection than without it. It certainly helps if the guy in front of you is speeding or is in a fast looking car, so the cop goes after him first and you get the advance warning.<p>Nadeem<br>1.8TQM

Quick Reply: Need Radar advice......quick!!